Weird noise coming from front wheels?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
joeyy

Weird noise coming from front wheels?

Post by joeyy »

I think my universals or ball joints may be going out. When I make a left hand turn, usually I can hear/feel it grinding mainly from the right side of the vehicle. Its not a canstant noise, its like when it gets to a certain part then it grinds if you know what I mean. Any advice? LIke how to either prevent it from getting worse, how to fix it or check to see what the actual problem is?
kolton

Re: Weird noise coming from front wheels?

Post by kolton »

your most likely correct, but here's a few other possibilities.
u should be able to tell if its the Ujoint by grabbin hold of it and giving it a good twist or shake. to keep it from getting worse= replace it.

take the wheel off and make sure the rings and locks that hold the rotor on are all tight. had that happen once.

if its a popping noise, could be the tracbar. check bushings and bolts.
Shake and Bake
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

Ok thanks, I'll do that. I don't really want to put alot more money into my rig, I'm leary about putting junk yard parts in it though cause they may be just as bad if not worse. Would that be not recomended? What would be a guess to how much they would be new? Do you know offhand?
kolton

Post by kolton »

i guess it would depend on where you buy from. i got mine at Oreilly's atuo parts when i rebuilt my front end for around 8-12 dollars. they can be an ass to replace sometimes, its easiest to just pull both axles out of the diff and then take the joints out and replace, the lock rings are a pain to get to when the axle is in the diff.

from what i remember, the only real hangups i recall were actually getting the axles out of the housing and then the u-joints apart. mine were all rusted together.

dont put junkyard joints in. they could be great and save you some money, but the time and effort of getting the joints out is all the work in this project, dont make yourself do it twice to save a dollar or two.

if its the bushing on the tracbar, just order the bushing from LMCTRUCK.COM or go to your dealer. junkyard ones ive seen are usually just as rotted and worn as the bad ones.
Shake and Bake
clem

Post by clem »

X2 Just buy new parts for this. :cool:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
scotty boi

Post by scotty boi »

for the noises u are hearing try locking ur truck in and out of 4 wheel drive a couple times then the last tim drive it in reverse for about ten feet... i had a problem with mine like that a couple times and the noise was just comming from my auto locking hubs not disengaging all the way.... another way to tell if it is your balljoints is the front tires in the truck might look like there on a slant which is usually a sign of bad balljoints...

best of luck to you and hope i helped