cleaning gas tank out

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
broncofan

cleaning gas tank out

Post by broncofan »

ok guys, whats the best way to get all the caked up varnish stuff out of the tank without breaking any laws? I couldnt believe how nasty it looked and smelled after I dropped the tank.
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII
cajun66

Re: cleaning gas tank out

Post by cajun66 »

My truck sat up since 2001 with a hole in the tank so all gas evaporated into varnish. After dropping the tank, I took a hammer and lightly tapped all over which broke up most of the varnish. My shop-vac with a good dust filter removed all the loose stuff. I found the holes with a flashlight and brazed them shut. I then used my pressure washer to break up as much as I could. After drying out the tank with a hot air gun, I took a wire brush and stuck my arm in the big hole and took care of the rest.
Hope this helps.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
RClem

Post by RClem »

I had my granddaughter stick her hand inside the tank with a acetone soaked rag and wipe it clean, took about half an hour.

Ray
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

I do a lot of work on old motorcycles and I use this trick a lot too:

Put a few pounds of gravel and a box of sheet metal screws in the tank, tape off the holes, Use bungee cords and tie the tank to the inside of a tractor rim. Cut a few acres of grass. Shiney.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
RClem

Post by RClem »

That really sounds neat, but, I don't have a tractor, let alone a field to work in.
oneway

Post by oneway »

lol @ cajun - when I had my motorcycle gas tank powder coated...i totally forgot i had the inside lined with a thin vinyl to prevent corrosion...well....vinyl in an oven at XXXXX degrees to cure the powder coat = disaster for the inside.

i pulled out the big stuff (was like burnt newspaper) with a coat hanger and then tossed in about $5.00 in change (mostly pennies) and shook the hell out of it...took about 2 hours...but worked flawlessy.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

Improv has worked for me in the past.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
broncofan

Post by broncofan »

Alright guys, got it all back together and shes running. now for the hard part, since the carb was rebuilt i need to fine tune
it. She runs well at high idle but stalls when I idle it down. found 1 leak at base of carb (air leak) rubber hose at base was bad. TSP seems to be working, and she drives ok, but lugs when i slow down for corners, any ideas would be appreciated thanks
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII