Diagnostic Q & A website by certified mechanics

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
oneway

Diagnostic Q & A website by certified mechanics

Post by oneway »

http://www.all-parts.com/diagnostics/me ... co-II.html

found this website after doing some Google'ing and it helped me out tremendously.

You do have to pay, but you choose what you want to pay and if the answered provided isn't to your satisfactory - then you don't have to pay.
My answer cost me $10 and was extremely thorough and almost immediate (took about 5 minutes). I ran out to Advance Auto Parts and bought everything I needed. ($15 thermostat, $18 seafoam, $12 rubber (not cork) valve cover gaskets) I even found another question that had already been asked and the answer was exactly what I am experiencing with my vehicle. So I highly encourage you to search the site and read each question and answer that has already been asked before you ask yours.

I got my thermostat question answered (it seems it's stuck open) and since I am leaking oil around the valve cover - I found out that inside the valve cover, there are oil drain holes so the oil can fall back down the inside and go back to the oil pan/pump and complete the circle (oil gets pumped up, then falls back down) well if those drain holes are clogged with sludge/dirt/grime, then the oil can't drain properly and will soak the gaskets and come out the sides of the valve cover. And since the oil isn't getting back to the bottom end properly - you may experience tapping or clicking....like I am, only under load (when you foot is on the gas pedal - if you let off the gas pedal - the clicking/tapping will stop). (you shouldn't be experiencing loss in oil pressure though - if you are - your problem is something else) All you do is open the valve cover, replace the gaskets and un-clog the drain holes. You can also run a heavier weight oil. I am going to run some SeaFoam in the oil first to see if that will dislodge the gunk and sludge - but if not, I'll do it the labor-intensive way.

SeaFoam doesn't harm any vehicle - whether you run it in the gas or oil.

Just posting this up incase any one wants a thorough PROFESSIONAL answer. Not knocking anyone on here - just providing another means to an end. :beer:
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)