Better gas mileage?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
joeyy

Better gas mileage?

Post by joeyy »

I need to do some improvement to get better gas mileage. I know I need to replace the air filter. I also have to put a new catalytic converter on it. I think the injectors need cleaned. Fuel filter could probably stand to be changed. I want to put new spark plugs cables in it and a new distributor. I have new plugs in it. Any other help to improve my gas mileage?
clem

Re: Better gas mileage?

Post by clem »

Synthetic oil in your engine and differentials will help, I'm not sure about it in an auto tranny or any tranny as far as that goes. Make sure your tires are the right size and are inflated properly. A k&n or similar type air filter is SUPPOSE to help with fuel mileage. This may sound stupid but make sure your not carrying 200lbs of stuff in the back you don't need. That plastic piece under the bumper is suppose to move air to the side of your rig instead of under it, if it's not there it should be. I know unlocking my hubs so my axle shafts aren't turning helps. Without knowing more about your rig that's all I can think of.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
joeyy

Re: Better gas mileage?

Post by joeyy »

Well its an '87 eddie bauer, 2.9L auto tranny, converted to manual locking hubs, with 205/75/R15 tires for now. I'm going to go give it an oil change and look into an air filter and fuel filter. The Dana 28 axle. When I get money, I'm going to clean the injectors by hand. It has 125K miles on it so I use high mileage oil. So just to re-est. what I know to do:
Change oil
Change fuel/air filter
Clean the injectors
Replace cat.
Check tire pressure
keep hubs unlocked(which I do normally)
keep the weight out of it
Check the wind gaurd

I normally run like a Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the gas. Is there anything else that I'm missing?