88 bronco 2 brakes help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
borjawil

88 bronco 2 brakes help

Post by borjawil »

Hey everyone, working on 88 a new project. Got an 88 bronco 2 and it needs brakes. Never worked on cars besides oil change and such. When i look over the brakes what am i looking for to determine what i need to replace?
zerospartan1987

Re: 88 bronco 2 brakes help

Post by zerospartan1987 »

if you plan to ride the trails i suggest you change out everything....ex. brake hoses, calipers, pads, bearings, etc........keep in mind that the bronco 2 is a heavy suv and theres nothing wrong with being on the safe side. First thing i did was change out the power booster and brake master cylinder the went ahead and changed out the whole calipers, brakes and hoses and pads...........
my bronco 2 is a work in progress........
borjawil

Post by borjawil »

just looking to make it able to stop on the roads. truck hasnt been sitting for a very long time so i guess i just need to know what signs to look for, for replacing.

are the front brake disc and the rear drum? If they're similar to motorcycle disc and drums types i shouldnt have too much trouble
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

After having this problem bite me twice in the last year I strongly recommend you replace ALL flexible brake lines. 2 on the front and usually 1 in the rear. These things go bad internally and will drive you crazy trying to find problems later. If you do any off highway running I recommend braided lines.

:cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
borjawil

Post by borjawil »

I always replace brake lines when i get a new project thats been sitting or is questionable, brakes will either save ya or kill, just depends who's been workin with them.
dyllanvenezio

Post by dyllanvenezio »

Yes you have front disc rear drum.
Ok for the front, you need to look at a couple of things. Check the rotors for any deep scratches / grooves (bad) smooth (good), and check how wide they are. I dont know the factory specs but you can look up how wide they should be. If you feel or hear metal grinding when you brake, your rotors may need replaced. For the rear check for gooves and scratches in the drums.

You can get brake parts for a good price at lmctruck.com. You may want to buy wheel cylinders, and calipers while your at it.

LMC prices

part number part price

50-6552 hub and rotors --------------------------- 80 for both
50-6610 calipers ----------------------------------- 50 for both

50-6570 drums ------------------------------------- 60 for both
50-6440 hardware kit------------------------------ 6 optional
45-4245 wheel cylinder ---------------------------- 25

You will want to re pack your bearings, while you are at it, and have your brake system flushed.
You might want new bearings too. Oh and dont forget brake pads.
I dont know what to look for for the master cylinder. sorry
Hope this helps.
borjawil

Post by borjawil »

here are pics when i got the wheels off. What should i replace and what can i clean up?
Attachments
brakes 1.JPG
brakes 2.JPG
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

2wd? Those are rare around here. Anyway I would start with rotors, pads and new rubber lines. I would also clean up those calipers as good as you can. I would assume that the drums look the same. I am guessing that they would also need replacing as well as the pads, cylinder and ruber line as well.
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

When I got my BII, I had to replace all the brakes. I had to put on new rotors($40 each from advanced) becuz one had a crack in it and u have to replace both sides at the same time. I put new pads on it($20 for both sides from advanced auto) I ended up having t replace the calipers too, they were shot and the pistons weren't going back in no matter what I did( I think they were 20 or 40 each but there was a 10 dollar core charge). I replaced the shoes on the rear (20 for both sides) A piston on one side ($15) and some little cable thing ($3) I also replaced both rear lines($3 forma local cheap store) but I had to get adaptors from an auto part store for them to fit ($5 each) I also flushed all my lines. So now my brakes are good. My rotors and calipers looked just like yours is the point of my post. I should have just said replace them, haha.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Just one last piece of advice.

Your brakes are one of the most important safety items on your vehicle.

That being said, would you cut corners on your life?

When it comes to my life I NEVER take a shortcut!!!

Have fun but be safe.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
RClem

Post by RClem »

+1 for tekatlarge
Brake inspection and replacement of all the parts that even look suspicious is imperative.
From what I saw in the pictures, I would replace everything from the steel brake lines on the spring buckets out.
The parts are not that expensive and will save lives.
You must live where they use salt in the winter, I have never seen brake parts that rusted.

Ray
borjawil

Post by borjawil »

Yep sure do. I live in michigan. Just a quick question. How do i remove the rotors. Gotten as far as removing the calipers. Also what would you guys recommend cleaning it up with? When i did my bike brakes i used simple green.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Borjawill and anyone interested.

I field a lot of requests from people from several boards I work with. The number 1 request is "How do I remove or install something or where is it?".

There are times I have to look stuff up and I used to pay alldata subscriptions on all my vehicles.
Over time I have found many free databases and I use them daily. Both of these require membership but it is Free! Free! Free! Sometimes I even stumble upon OEM guides.

So I will list two of them right now,

The first is http://www.autozone.com

Autozone Membership Benefits,

"Take advantage of our services by registering with us. Registered users have unlimited access to thousands of pages of repair instructions through our free Vehicle Repair Guides. These Guides have vehicle-specific printable repair instructions covering a large number of models from 1950-2007. Registered users can also keep track of their vehicle's service history as well as sign up to receive e-mailed information about their vehicle, including, Technical Service Bulletin titles, recall notices and service reminders".

I am not affilated with autozone in any way shape or form. The above was from autozone.

This is a good source for all your technical needs.

My second good free source is my local public library. I am a card holder and I can access all Chilton information plus service bulletins.
I am not sure how much a library card costs but their usually good for the life of the library. Besides lots of Kool auto stuff they have databases with all kinds of subjects all there right in you living room or wherever you may happen to be.

Good luck everyone now get back to work.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
borjawil

Post by borjawil »

found calipers at advanceauto for 16.99 (10 core), rotors online for 20 each and brake lines for 17 each. still gotta do the rear drums.
oneway

Post by oneway »

borjawil wrote:found calipers at advanceauto for 16.99 (10 core), rotors online for 20 each and brake lines for 17 each. still gotta do the rear drums.
check out jcwhitney.com

they actually have a gaurantee that everything you are looking will fiit your truck...as long as you enter your year/make/model first.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)