reversing leaf pack?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

reversing leaf pack?

Post by FatMan »

i was gonna add this to the shackle flip thread but i figured id start a new one for this. :D

question-
when reversing the leaf pack does it reduce the wheel base or increase the wheel base? im ask'n becuz im gonna do a shackle flip with the sky hangers and i was talking to a guy i met with a fullsize bronco. he said that the hanger's moved his axle foward 1". i dont want to lose any more wheel base so im thinking of reversing the leaf pack when i go the shackle flip. what do you guy's think?
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

it will do two things. one it will kick back your axle 5 inches, two it will kick down your pinion angle and it might even lower it some but not sure on that
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

damn!!! 5" that would put be back to were i was. dont know if i want that. could i add a shim to correct the pinion angle?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I wouldn't reverse them. You'd get a lot more axle wrap.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

now would i have axle wrap on the trail or would'nt the lower speed's make a difference. thank's
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I measured my leafs from the front eye to the center pin I had 24" and from the center pin to the rear eye I got 31" so the axle would probably move around 7". I thought about doing this but like nobody said it would give more axle wrap and I have also heard that it would give more flex stear. you could try to make an axle wrap bar but it might limit flex. to fix the pinion angle I would just cut the perches off and relocate them. I saw the sky hanger and I liked the way it looked but I didn't like the angle the shackle had after the install in the factory location. just make sure you get it in the right spot or flex will be limited. me personaly, I thought about it and I am not going to go that way.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

well if that's the case i wont be reversing the spring's. i like the sky shackles but i dont wont to lose anymore wheel base i guess the worst thing will be me have'n to move the hangers back a 1" or 2. everyone i've talked to likes the hangers. i think they will do really good with the stock leaf's.

just for information sake- the 4" rear rough country leafs are some flexy son of b!t*#'$.
b2dude

Post by b2dude »

:confused: i don't understand why you would get more axle wrap. i was planning on doing this when i go bigger with the tires. 7" more wheelbase seems like a plus to me...i was just gonna flip em and use long shackles to correct the pinion angle. isn't that what the toyota guys do?...i always see rediculous shackles on toyotas.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

That's the entire purpose of offsetting the center pin. It all about leverage. You want the shortest half of the spring forward. If you do reverse them, and some guys do, you'll be wanting an anti-wrap bar, and the associated problems that go with it.

If I could only count the number of toyotas I've seen with separated slip yolks and nuked driveshafts :puke: :laugh:
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

the funny part about that argument nobody is that sense i fliped my leafs i have more wrap going in reverse then i did befor and i didnt notice a differance going forwards. Eather way leafs suck!
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

I am considering the spring -flip to get the extra wheel base. My present measurement is 96" and I think the flip will get me to 101". The short wheel base really kicks my butt in the rocks sometimes.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

yeah thats why i went longer and im going to go even longer soon when ever i get the money, in the middle of switching jobs went from the gas station to building toyota land cruziers and soon to costco so money is all jacked up i dont know if im rich or poor right now!
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

now will the wheel hop be very notice able on off-road?
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

theres alot of wheel hop when im in the sand but dont notice it anywere else.