what do yall think?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
kolton

what do yall think?

Post by kolton »

on my 87 BII, DD
manual trans. 8inlift on 33x12.50 mt's
D28, exploder8.8

i do a bit of highway driving, mostly long distances(maby 400+ miles) about once or twice a month. And like i said, its my DD, so all the other countless miles i put on her. she is geared at 3.73 at the moment, but i think thats what caused my last break...

should i go with 4.88 gears, or would that kill me on the highway?
im trying to figure out wich ratio would be best, so i dont burn another 5th gear, wich turned into burning the entire transmission by the time i got into a motel parking lot (all i have left is first, and its stuck in first now. no neutral lol. got lucky with that one, was funny hearing it redline for about 20 mins getting to the exit while on the highway.)

just some input would be nice, any oppinions will be considdered.
thanks, kolton
Shake and Bake
clem

Re: what do yall think?

Post by clem »

With 33's I would go with 4:10's or 4:11's I can't remember which one ford put in the rangers. But going from 3:73's to 4:88 seems a little much to me.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

go with 4:56's. that will keep the same engine performance as the 3:73. you actually end up with 3:80. thats what i have in mine
kolton

Post by kolton »

thanks dave :D (still loving that ranger by the way! looks like a beast)

yeah i was thinkin 4:88 was a lil much, but i had 4:10's in my old ranger (R.I.P.) and it still felt like i was lacking in that area.

know of anyone with a set for the 8.8 that there willing to sell?

thanks,
kolton
Shake and Bake