Bronco II 2.9L Heads Need Fixin'

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Ranger Dave

Re: Bronco II 2.9L Heads Need Fixin'

Post by Ranger Dave »

the smoke could be the valve cover gasket leaking.the stalling could be the TPS
BroncoNoob

Post by BroncoNoob »

I just did the TPS test and it didn't have any dead spots, so that's not it. I tried depressing the accelerator slowly and now it seems to be gradually increasing rpm. It is a warmer day so maybe the near freezing temperature of last time caused it to act funny. I am still looking for a spark plug to air hose adapter to do the leak down test. The smoke is somewhere between white and grey. The smell of the smoke is very odd, never smelled something like it before. One thing i cannot figure out, is that when my sister used the bronco, she constantly had to add coolant to it. I wasn't given exact amounts but I get the feeling it took at least a gallon a week. I cannot figure out where the coolant is going. No one remembers seeing a coolant puddle underneath the vehicle. I did notice a small dripping of water or watery coolant, coming from where the coolant lines go into the firewall. I will try to send a picture of this location soon to give you a better idea. The dripping seems to have stopped, but i never really did anything to fix it. As far as the valve covers go, i will try to get some black rtv in there to tighten up the seal. I did follow the chilton repair manual method of installing the heads as far as torque patterns and specs. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Sounds like a head gasket or cracked head if you are burning coolant. That would explain the cloud.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

see if the carpet is wet on the pass.side floor
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

I too have the MAJOR CLOUD OF WHITE SMOKE going on... I haven't torn down the motor yet. its too cold here in texas to do anything right now lol... I think it has overheated one time on me... if it is a cracked head where should i go to get a new one. there is a place in grand prairie who specialize in remanufactured heads. and the remans as good as the new ones? how hard is it to take the heads off and put new ones on... any special tools needed? i am pretty sure that has to be my problem... I barely made it home this time it has very little power and stalls at every stop sign so i didn't even bother stoping at them lol... now it does the white smoke all the time not just when it is warm... any advice is greatly accepted :eek:
drofman

Post by drofman »

Block Check the cooling system will tell you if the heads are junk, also if it's bad the engine will run rough when you frist start it most of the time, before the spark plug cleans up then gets hot quick.