Transmission question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
virginiakid

Transmission question

Post by virginiakid »

I know this is a newbie question, but here goes...

I'm looking at buying an '89 B2, automat, 2.9L, 4x4. The forward gears don't work in the tranny but it will back up. I've got three questions:

1) I'm assuming to use the current tranny, it would have to be rebuilt. Right?

2) Was there only one automatic transmission that Ford put in these B2's? What year models could I safely pull an automatic tranny out of and it fit? And would a 4x4 Ranger tranny work as well? Or do I have to check on a specific part number on the tranny?

3) What's the most economical way to address the tranny issue? Try to find a quality used one or have someone rebuild this one, or what?

Thanks for any input.
Dane

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.
kunzelman

Re: Transmission question

Post by kunzelman »

yes current tranny would need rebuilding ford used a c3 tranny in early b2s and rangers and a c5 tranny in 85 they started using the a4ld. you can use a a4ld ot of any 85 to 89 ranger 4x4 or b2 and i think a 90 as well on the b2 this would include any 2wd up to 89 as they use the 4x4 tranny with a dummy transfer case. you could go with a used but remember it is used has no warranty unless you get from a reputiable wrecking yard than its about 30 days and it could fail at any time or last for years. these trannys range from $250 to 500 depending on the milage of the donor. a rebuild could cost any where from $ 1000 to 2000 depending on where you take it.