?rear gears?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
kolton

?rear gears?

Post by kolton »

this vehicle never fails to, well... fail... :hmmm:

i have an 87 broncoii 4x4 with the 2.9L, on 33"s
newly rebuilt motor, transmission, front end, and countless other projects.

Two days after i finished the front end, while driving home on the highway, the gearing in the rear diff. of my stock 7.5in axle went haywire. and i ended up driving the last mile home at about 2mph.

ive been looking to find stock gearing for a reasonable price. but im afraid that they will break again, especially when i put it on the trails again.

WHAT gearing would you recomend i replace the old with. Or should i keep the stock. the gears MUST hold up to highway speeds!!

i just recently graduated highschool and am on a fairly tight budget. but it is my daily driver, so i dont want anything too cheap.

sorry this is so long, but id rather put alot of info now and answer fewer questions later.

thanks, Kolton
Shake and Bake
tekatlarge

Re: ?rear gears?

Post by tekatlarge »

If you are running stock axles front and back look around for a 92 94 Ford Exploder and use the rear end and front end from that. The exploder has an Dana 35 front axle and a 8.8 inch rear end. It is a basic bolt in deal. I would recommend at least 4:10 Gears with 33's.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
kolton

Post by kolton »

I have been thinking about the 8.8
but that means a conversion from drum brakes to disk brakes.
what does that involve to swap over?

:smilie: kolton
Shake and Bake
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

kolton wrote:I have been thinking about the 8.8
but that means a conversion from drum brakes to disk brakes.
what does that involve to swap over?

:smilie: kolton
95ish and up xplorers had dics brake rears

what happened to your 7.5?
kolton

Post by kolton »

yes, i am just wondering what it will take to transfer my 7.5 with drum brakes, to a 8.8 with disk brakes. i know i will need a new master cylinder and stuff, but what about brake lines ect.??
and what is a reasonable price for an 8.8.

my guess is that a spline broke off of the ring gear. i heard a verry distinct pop at about 55 mph. i first thought my drive shaft had bent or something hit it. but when i got out i had diff fluid all over the place and a hole about the size of a .30-06 in the diff cover, and multiple smaller holes.
Shake and Bake
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

tekatlarge wrote:If you are running stock axles front and back look around for a 92 94 Ford Exploder and use the rear end and front end from that. The exploder has an Dana 35 front axle and a 8.8 inch rear end. It is a basic bolt in deal. I would recommend at least 4:10 Gears with 33's.

A bolt in?? really? I mean, I can drill and tap holes, but no welding or metal shaping is really do-able. I'm just curious.... :hmmm: