2.9 to 4.0 swap manual to auto

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronco2man

2.9 to 4.0 swap manual to auto

Post by Bronco2man »

I bought a 93 explorer with 4.0 auto tranny 4x4. I have a 90 B2 with 2.9 5 speed 4x4. Both have push button 4x4 and both have ac and cruise. I need to convert the B2 over to auto tranny due to a back surgery earlier this year and I don't want a stick anymore. I want to use as many of the parts off the explorer as I can as long as it will benefit the B2. I have heard that you want the rear end and springs? I also heard that you want the front springs as well. Will I have a problem with fuel delivery or is it just a matter of changing out parts. When I swap eng and tranny will I be able to use the B2 drive shafts or will I need to get drive shafts from an auto B2 or have custom made? Is it just a matter of changing parts to keep ac and cruise control? Any and all info is needed and appreciated.

Also, the explorer is a 93 4.0, 4x4, auto tranny, 4 door, Push button 4x4.
The B2 is a 90 2.9, 4x4, 5 speed, Push button 4x4.

Thanx :cool:
DBrown

Re: 2.9 to 4.0 swap manual to auto

Post by DBrown »

personaly I would just pull motor/trans/transfer out of the explorer and put it all into the BII at one time. it should all just bolt in.

I "made" my fuel lines work, but I think you should be able to use the explorer fuel lines. I can tell you from experience that you cannot just plug the 2.9L lines into the 4.0L fuel rail. they will be backwords.

your problems will be with the wiring more than anything. I have looked at threads at the rangerstation that said you can just plug up the harness but I have never seen it done.

if the rear is an 8.8 then I would take it out and install that also.

if it helps any I have a writeup posted on the main page...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Bronco2man

Post by Bronco2man »

I plan on doing a complete change over of the engine, tranny, and transfer case. Will I be able to use the existing rear driveshaft that is now on the Bronco II? As the Explorer is a 4 door and I believe that will make the explorer driveshaft too long. Will I still be able to use the instrument cluster in the Bronco or will it need to be changed out? Both are identical in look and layout. I want to change out the pedals to the Explorer pedals and get rid of the Bronco pedals.Will this be a swap over or major pain? Will I need to change the master cylinder when I do this? I hope not due to the 4 wheel antilock brake system on the Explorer. I only have rear antilock on the Bronco. I will have tons more questions and I hope that some of them won't be too dumb but the BroncoII is my baby and I have had it since 93. Thanks in advance for the help. KEEP IT COMING!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

your just going to have to try the drive shaft. I think you have a good chance the BII drive shaft will work, but if it doesn't I paid around $80 to have one cut down before so it's not to bad.

not sure on the cluster but if they are the same I don't see why you would have to. it realy just boils down to how much wiring you want to do and how much of it you can use.

the peddles you will just have to pull the dash apart on both truck and see what will work.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com