bought a 89 bronco 2

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
thefordguy

bought a 89 bronco 2

Post by thefordguy »

The 4x4 worked when he got it but he kinda beat the **** out of the thing a few things and now the 4x4 does not work what should i check replace?
ecst2wcst

Re: bought a 89 bronco 2

Post by ecst2wcst »

How do you engage the FWD. Is it manual or electronic. If it is push button the first thing I would check would be the relay. On my '88 the relays are located right behind the battery.
Rob in NC
Paul

Post by Paul »

been a while since i have been on the site. my BII is out in the driveway, has 4.0 in it, 4x4 still works, crop top, and needs a new flywheel and clutch, so been thinking that it might be time to go automatic.............. stiil stock height and runing 235 /15 AT tires.

I was reading that the 4x4 on yours is not working,i recomend before you go spending a lot of money on switches and transfer case repairs........... Make sure the E-CLIP is still on the axles inside the Lockout hubs, if the E-clip came off the end of the axle it can slip back out of the wheel hub and keep the lockouts from engaging the front wheels........... mine had the e-clip missing when i purchased it for $300.00 funny thing is i was told the transfer case was no good, well i disagree...the 4x4 transfer case was good...... just needed the eclip on the axle to keep it in place for the lockout to engage properly........ now the 4x4 works beautifully! cost me $1.00 to fix, so dont rule out the simple things first, and if you have automatic hubs, they could also be the culpret.
1989 Bronco II 4x4
Mitsubishi 146 5 speed,
Stock D35
235/75/15
4.0L upgrade
NO LIFT
Crop Top
thefordguy

Post by thefordguy »

its manual also i will check that becouse the 4x4 lights come on and all