Rough idling after tune up

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Cholla

Rough idling after tune up

Post by Cholla »

Ok, I feel a little silly, so I am starting here with some pros it appears. Seems quite a few people have been experiencing this problem and this forum might have the answers. I hope.
This is my first time owning a sweet 1987 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 rig, and I love the hell out of it. Plans are to make it a keeper and fix what I can. It has 100K on it and has not been abused.
Sooo...
Today, I just installed new plugs (.044 gap), cap and rotor. It was running good and strong, now it has a very rough idle acts like it wants to die. Firing order is fine, a strong lacquer like smell has developed and it seems to be burning rich. I will test for vacuum leaks and possible ground problems tomorrow. Possible catalytic converter? Ughhh...

Am I missing something that could lead to a quick fix? Has anyone had a similar problem? Do I hear giggles? I have been a knuckle buster since I bought my first tool box from Sears in '69, but this, duh, has me foxed! More giggles???

Thanks for any & all thoughts, and giggles.
Ranger Dave

Re: Rough idling after tune up

Post by Ranger Dave »

it takes a minute or two for it to start running ruff???? every time you start it it takes the same amount of time for it to run ruff??
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hmm Lacquer smell could be a fuel pressure Regulator gone south. Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and look for signs of fuel on the vacuum side. if ya got fuel on the vac side ya got a bad regulator.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
bigcurt610

Post by bigcurt610 »

I have exactly the same problem as Cholla. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Mine appears to be running rich and the catayitic converter gets very hot. I have taken it to several shops. None have been able to stop the rough idle that comes and goes.

Thanks for any help.
clem

Post by clem »

This may seem too simple but I gotta ask, Are all the wires pushed down hard on the plugs and cap? The devil lives in the details. :canada: :redneck:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
bigcurt610

Post by bigcurt610 »

Yes, all wires are pushed down firmly on the plugs and cap. I have even changed all plugs, wires and the cap. But, it still happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

this is just a thought but did you pull the wires off and check the resistance in each of them?
if you didn't change the wires maybe you seperated one or two when you removed them?

just a thought...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
clem

Post by clem »

Did you get this sorted? Seems like a common problem, to post a fix lets others answer their issues if they do a search instead of asking the same question over and over.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

DBrown wrote: maybe you seperated one or two when you removed them
it was running fine before.

with todays high out put coils the spark will jump a 1/2+ gap and still fire the plug
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

this may sound kinda silly,but start puttin the old parts back on,se if it runs better
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

this tread is 2 months old.
bigcurt610

Post by bigcurt610 »

I still have the same problem. Since someone mentioned spark plugs, it seems that my problem started after I got the plugs and wires changed about a year ago. If I find a solution, I will post it. That is the only problem that I have with my 87.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

bigcurt610 wrote: it seems that my problem started after I got the plugs and wires changed about a year ago.
and its still not fixed??? :wtf: