np435

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
wilber

np435

Post by wilber »

ok, wtf am i doing wrong? i finaly got the shifter in, and its fawked. i thought when i put the top plate on that the forks were where they neeeded to be. and it was in neutral.. any advice tips?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You don't have that thing on the road yet!

I remember it being a pita when I put the top cover on my np435. I don't remember what the problem was...but I seem to recall I didn't get the shift fork over 1st gear. Maybe try putting it together in first gear instead of neutral. I think the the 1st gear kind floats around untill you get the fork on it, so it's easy to miss if you're not paying attention.
wilber

Post by wilber »

hell no, its been slow work... i have a run in 2 weeks, trying to finish up for it,

hell it took last night and most of today just to get the shifter collar back on.

if i can get this tranny figured out, i will be good to rolll...

when you put your cover on, did you have the shifter installed, or did you do that after?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Shifter collar.....push and turn :finger:

You should be on the road in about a half hour then. Go pull that cover and get the shift forks straighted out, then give us a report.

What did you do about your clutch?
wilber

Post by wilber »

i made a longer rod for the slave, it disengages now,

i just hope its not putting to much pressure on the clutch if you know what i mean.

ill pull the cover off tomorrow, and try again. and yea, just push and turn, that fawker is a bitch!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Put a little wieght into it :finger:

How did you mount your slave? I was concerned about a line blow out too, but I've got over 3 years on it with no problems.
wilber

Post by wilber »

i used the ford bellhousing, and stock hydraulic slave,

the only issue i may have, is the rod may be to long, and actualy holding the clutch some,

i have to fix the shifter to see though. and im at 300 lbs and i put all i had and couldnt get that collar down.

i just spliced the line with a comprison fitting, my old 89 ranger had this done and ran with no problems.

i just wish i new more about how this trany is supposed to go. its such a tight space to work in the b2
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

wilber, I am taking it you are the one running a stock slave bellhousing?
if so do you know what tranny it came off of?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The bellhousing that comes with the factory slave is aluminum. It comes on some ~mid 80's trucks with NP435. Pretty hard to find.

DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I figured it would be something like that. Nobody did you think about using that slave instead fo the landcruiser setup or was it way too expencive?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I looked for a bellhousing like that, and couldn't find one. However, even if I did, I don't think it would have have worked with my headers.
wilber

Post by wilber »

search :finger:

http://board.broncoii4x4.com/viewtopic. ... ight=np435

still dont know the year, just ask alx
wilber

Post by wilber »

hey matt, how is your shifter bent? i think i finaly got this fawker figured out, and the way my shifter is bent, its a pita to shift. just wondering how yours is bent up and how well it works? thanks
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I don't have a body lift, so I had to do a really tight bend. I could have cut the dash, but I didn't want to.

You want the shifter to come off the tranny a slight angle say between 6 O'clock and 7 O'clock. That way it flows through the gears nicely without the tendancy to hit 1st instead of third.

Mine is actually very comfortable to drive and shift.
Attachments
2nd gear
2nd gear
1st gear
1st gear
wilber

Post by wilber »

ok, ive got the 2nd gen so my dash is a lil different, but i cut most of it out anyway, and will make a custom one some day. right now my shifter is bent to far down towards the back, ill bend it up some tomorrow and see what i can do. thanks for the help