PLEASE HELP!!!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jeffb3041

PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by jeffb3041 »

Ive got a 86 Bronco II. Was driving home from work pulled up to a stop sign and it died. It restarted but ran really rough untill i gassed it real hard. Put it under load it sputtered a few times then cleaned up and drove home... Replaced the fuel filter last night. When it started the idle is really rough... It drives under power ok but it seems to be running really rich at idle. Revs up good????? Checked for vacuum leaks alls good. it is idling slower than normal and it wont clean up untill you give it gas??? :wtf: While it was idling poorly i started pulling plug wires thinking maybe i had a bad one. Nope... :confused: This morning tried to start it to drive to work.. No starty when its cold???

jeff
Nobody

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by Nobody »

You should try pulling codes.

Possibly the fuel pressure regulator???
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

These are the things ive already replaced and checked:
Replaced: fuel regulater, idler air control valve, ecm, fuel filter, fuel pump reley.
Checked: All voltage inputs to the brain to the specs. Pulled wires of of O2 sensor while running it seems to working.

This seems to be intermitten. Somtimes it starts and runs great for 15 minuts or so then starts idling very rough. But most of the time it starts up idling very rough.
Took it to the shop to pull codes and cant get the brain to talk with the controller, maybe need a new brain??? :confused:
Any feedback is greatly apprieciated.
Jeff
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

So i went out to start the bronco this morning and try some different things. The fuel rail was completely empty. Ive cycled the ignition switch like a hundred times. it acts like it wants to start for the first couple turn over then it acts like it not getting any fuel :wtf: The fuel rail is now full of fuel and still no start? I am at my wits end. Why does the fuel rail bleed off over night? Were is the fuel going??? Any suggestions that i havent tried or any ideas on the fuel rail issue would be very helpfull....I just put on a new fuel regulator...

Thanks
Jeff
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

you said you changed the fuel filter, the one in the plactic canister??? both fuel pumps comming on??
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

Both pumps work....And come on... The high pressure fuel pump does not shut off... :wtf: You can hear it running back to the fuel element cannister. I have replaced the relays.
The way I understnd this is that the brain controlls the relays with a ground. Gives the ground to run the pump, takes away the ground to shut the pump off. Possible the brain is bad, slight water damage.
What i dont understand is why does the fuel run in a circle. :confused: is their a check valve in the canister on the return side of the fuel system and if not how do u build up any psi :confused: :confused: ... I think this is a brain issue and am willing to try anything next to confirm this...Cant pull any codes outta the brain..doesnt want to communicate with code checker...is this another idicater that the brain is bad :confused:

Thanks for your input will keep u posted and any help as always is apprieciated.

jeff
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

it might be the low pressure pump. take the line off going into the canister from the tank,turn the key on and see what ya got
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

Dont mean to be a smart ass but first sentence says Both pumps are working :idea: I want to know why my high pressure pump is staying on all the time. Im pretty sure i have a brain issue. Will buy one Monday. I will keep you posted.

Thanks
Jeff
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if the pump in the tank was feeding the high pressure you would have pressure at the fuel rail it the HP one works
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

as I stated before the fuel rail is empty in the morning after sitting over night. When I turn on the key the HP fuel pump runs all the time before I try to start the motor. Shouldnt the hp fuel pump only run for 3-5 sec. then shut off tell u try to start it. And why can i hear the fuel runnig back threw the fuel return line back to the fuel canister on the frame rail..
thanks
jeff
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

Got a new ecm today :D I will put it in a hope for the best. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Will keep you all posted.
Thanks
Jeff
jeffb3041

Post by jeffb3041 »

:cool: :D :cool: :D Put the new ecm in.. Turned the key...Fuel pump came on and shut off...Started right up. :redneck: Took it for a drive... runs GREAT.. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now its time for a few :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks
Jeff
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

:beer: :beer: