stering box.....

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
PHROX

stering box.....

Post by PHROX »

what is involed in putting in a new steering box?

and is there a stronger option than the stock one thats not too much hassle?
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The stock one is pretty damn strong. It's the exact same one used in many ford trucks, up to I believe F-350.

If you're looking for stronger power steering assist, then you need to swap out your pump for a saginaw pump. Beyond that, you can mod the pump for higher pressure.

I have the saginaw pump and it turns my 36's great. And without the that constant growl.
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

alright, I think I am going to stick with the stock one then. but its real loose. so i am going to need a new one. I wam wondering how hard it is to remove? like does teh shaft just slide out or what?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

First, why do you think it's the box?
Second, if it is the box, there is an adjustment on the top to help take up some of that slop. I'm not sure of the proceedure to do it correctly, and it's probably on it's way out. It might be best to just replace it.

1. You'll need a puller to get the pitman arm off.

2. Where the steering shaft hits the box, there is bolt to take out. Further up the steering shaft, there is a bolt to loosen, then you can slide the shaft off the box.

3. Disconnect the lines

4. Pull the 3 bolts on the frame

It's a little heavy and awkward, but I did mine without help.
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

thanks, thats exactly what I needed.

Yea, my sterring has been loose for a while now. it just has alot of play in it. and scince after i regeared the rear whenever i shift it tends to pull to one side and thats not good coupled with loose sterring.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

That still doesn't answer the question.

Why do you think it's the box? vs.. worn tre's, bushings, wheel bearings etc....
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

when i jiggle the stering the shaft moves and the joint seems good, but it takes about an 8th of a turn maybe b4 the pitman arm engages. so somewhere between the shaft enering the box and the pitman arm there is some slack
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Just wanted you to be sure.
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Hey Nobody, besides the adjustment on the steering box, can't you add some shims in the box to make it tighter? A friend of mine who does alignments said something to about doing that once or I misunderstood what he said.
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.