5.0 Install

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Ranger Dave

Re: 5.0 Install

Post by Ranger Dave »

onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Yep. Just a thin peice right? If so it's there.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

So I made sure the starter is grounded. It is. Here is something new that makes me think it is the start relay. I just want to know if what I am saying sounds like what happens before it even goes.

On my last attempt the other day, it would turn over slowly, but it was sluggish like I said. Now today it was doing the same thing. I also was trying to jump it to see if that would help. After a few more trys it started clicking. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the starter relay or the starter. It did this before on the 2.9, but after a few knocks on the starter/ starter relay it would fire right up. This time it won't do anything. So that's why I think it is the starter relay. I'm going to have my Dad help me tonight to see if I get voltage going through to the starter. I tried myself, but I want to double check. That is the only way I know of testing it. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

what are you calling the starter reley?
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1

2nd picture down. (Not my thread. It's just the first picture I found while searching.)
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if you jump the Batt trem to the starter term that by passes the solenoid(direct to the starter). if you go from the Batt term to the little push on term,thats going through the solenoid to the starter(just like using the key)
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Ranger Dave wrote:try a different starter,did you ever hear that motor run?? take all the spark plugs out and try it,it should spin over good then
well?
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Right now I don't have a different starter. I have the plate inbetween the block and bell. Unfortunately, I didnt hear the motor run. Turns over fine by hand without spark plugs. Didn't try it with the starter though. Right now I can't, seeing it doesn't try at all anymore.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

you said its a new starter, what did you get it for??
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Not sure how you meant that question. I'll answer it both ways. I got it because I didn't have one and it is for an '84 F-150 with a 302.
clem

Post by clem »

Have you done a load test on the battery? an engine that starts quick does not draw a lot on the battery, but when you crank a bit, a bad battery will show it's flaws.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

The battery was new in May '08. I only went offroading several times and that's the only time I use it. I suppose it could be the battery. Can I do the load test myself or do I need to take it somewhere?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

got some jumper cables?? hook up two batteys
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I said that in a previous post. Already tried jumping it. Everything works. Lights, radio, etc. Just doesn't crank right. Now it doesn't crank at all.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

does it click just once when you try to start it