5.0 Install

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
onewontwo

Re: 5.0 Install

Post by onewontwo »

So I picked this engine up and it is missing a few things. I sold the extra heads and made up what I bought it for. I found out it is not a 91 it is an 87 but is a ho motor. The casting # on the block is E7T1. There's more but I forget what it was. Is there anyway to tell exactly what vehicle this came out of? It wouldn't be much of a problem, but there are 2 pulleys coming of the crankshaft, it's not a true serpentine belt. Half drives the p/s and a/c and the other does the alternator. So I don't know which way my water pump is suppose to spin, etc. I need help with this. I'm going to head down in the garage now, I'll get the rest of those numbers.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Casting number is as follows:

E7TE
CA
S

Thank you.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I did some research and I think it came from an 87 bronco. It is a roller motor though so I'm okay with that. I'll just have to get a different upper intake and all will be well. But should I use a Mustang computer and harness or the Bronco computer and harness? Thank you.

http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

honestly I would install what you got then measure and see what you can run. I seem to remember some of the intakes being kind of tall. I think the mustang intakes are the lowest profile.

I would like for someone back me up on this, but if I remember correctly on the belt system look at where the coolant hose comes out of the water pump. if it dumps on the driver side it is the reverse(newer) setup. if it dumps on the passenger side it is the older setup.

I would probably hit a junk yard and pull a system off a car/truck and just remeber what it came off of...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

dbrown, I believe you are correct on your waterpump directions. Most of the older ones spun ccw when looking at them from the front of the vehicle and therefore the outlet was to the passenger side.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I don't think that previous link is accurate. I've found another source claiming it is from a '91 stang. It would just be nice to know so I could get a manual or something so I can get things together the right way.

I'm starting to peice everything together and things are coming along. I think all I need now are a couple brackets and pulleys, and the harness/ computer. One concern though, I'm going with the mass air set-up and my 435 tranny has no provision for vehicle speed sensor. I've read it is mostly for cruise control and speed liminations, but if not used it can cause stalling on deceleration. Can anyone help me out on this? Oh yeah, and there is a 3 wire plug on my tranny I assume that is for the nuetral safety switch, reverse lights, and a ground. Right?

My BII wouldn't be where it is today without this board, so I thank everyone that has been helping out while putting up with and answering my constant questions.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

is the plug on the top cover? that is the only place I have ever seen a sensor on an NP435 and it is for the backup lights.

I believe the neutral safty switch is in the peddle assembly under the dash.

Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

look for the date code on the block

clem

Post by clem »

I'm watching this thread closely since I still plan on doing the same combo. Keep us posted and keep up the good work. :cool:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

DBrown wrote:is the plug on the top cover? that is the only place I have ever seen a sensor on an NP435 and it is for the backup lights.
Yeah it is. Does it only control the back up lights?
DBrown wrote:I believe the neutral safty switch is in the peddle assembly under the dash.
I thought there was a clutch pedal switch AND a neutral safety switch. I may be wrong though.
Ranger Dave wrote:look for the date code on the block
I read up on that before and looked for it on my block. I found the location it was supposed to be at but what I previousily posted is all that was there.
clem wrote:I'm watching this thread closely since I still plan on doing the same combo. Keep us posted and keep up the good work. :cool:
I almost have the engine together. I'll get some pics posted soon. I have to do the plumbing yet and then it should be ready to drop in.

If someone could tell me what to do about the vehicle speed sensor for the mass air efi that would be great!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I am almost 100% sure of the switch on the top cover only being for the backup lights.

on my old BII the only one I found was the clutch peddle switch. I even bypassed it one time because it broke and it would start in gear.

also where is the VSS for the 2.9? there was a weird sensor on my old speedo cable on the transfer case end. it pluged right into the 205 cable hole and worked so if that is the VSS that might work...

onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I'm not sure the B2 has a VSS, at least not on my 88. I think it is just for mass air and cruise control. Mine doesn't have cruise and I'm not sure what kind of injection B2's were. My speedo just has the worm gear. It's supposed to be in the tranny from what I understand, but I've found on mid 90's Ranger's they have a VSS and still have the same style speedo. So I think I can rob one off of a ranger and retain my stock speedo cable.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ometer.htm
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I run an auto 5L setup in my EB, no VSS and no issues, the plug on the trany is the back up lights and IMO you want to be able to start it in gear so eliminate the NSS.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

EBSTEVE wrote:I run an auto 5L setup in my EB, no VSS and no issues, the plug on the trany is the back up lights and IMO you want to be able to start it in gear so eliminate the NSS.
Thanks for the info.

I have some pics of my progress with the motor. I didn't take any of the vehicle. It's just an empty engine bay. I didn't do anything else.

This motor looked like hell when I picked it up, but it came with so many extra parts I already made more than what I paid for it. All I need now are the rest of the front acc. including the smog equipment, wiring/ computer, and a clutch assy.

Only casting #'s on my block, located on the right rear of the block close to the starter.

Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

7M9= Dec 9 1987

does it have roller lifters