Just got Bronco II need some advice

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

Just got Bronco II need some advice

Post by neb_scot »

Hi,
I purchased a Bronco II earlier in the week and was wondering if someone could advise me on a few problems with it.

1) I dunno what the usual top speed of these vehicles are - but mine cannot hold over 45mph. The engine starts to sput and splutter, misfiring every where when I start to break the 50mph mark. I suspect it may just need a tune up - but it seems like the engine cannot sustain the engine speed needed. In a similar way, although the car does start "first time" you do have to keep the engine turning for a few seconds before it kicks in. This is only on post-running starts, when the automatic choke is engage its only misfires. Its an old car - I know that happens - but if it was something fairly straight forward I may want to fix it.

2) The "brake" light is constant on. I topped the brake fluid and the brakes appear to work fine, so beyond the sensor going bad I have no idea what it could be.

3)By far the biggest issue is the "tinted" windows. One of the previous owners put the plastic coating on the windows making them "tinted". The problem I have is I cannot see anything at night - unless the car/deer is already upon you. Does anyone know how to get the stuff off of the windows?

4)Real dumb question here - I dont have an owners manual - how do you enable 4X4 on it? Ive never owned a 4x4 vehicle before...

All in all, I think the car rocks for its age - it really has stood the test of time.....

Thanks for any help you can give....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
greenmachine89

Re: Just got Bronco II need some advice

Post by greenmachine89 »

First off the year would be great to know, second is it and auto or a 5 speed? As for your window tinting they offer products at auto parts stores that can take the tinting off or you can just go for it with a razor blade. The brake light could be on because of the sensor in the master cylinder or because of the rear axle abs sensor.
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
clem

Post by clem »

I don't know the top speed of a bII but it's not 45mph! The info requested in the other post would help. The switch under the brake pedal may also be a concern for your brake problem. More info is required about your system to say why your 4x4 isn't working . These trucks came with a lot of different options, auto 4x4 (push button) manual transfer case auto transmission, manual transmission, 2.3 liter 2.8 liter and 2.9 liter.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Jager

Post by Jager »

If you haven't had a tune up, I would most definitely change the rotor and rotor cap.. plugs and wires also if their OEM. Gas and air filters, Gas filter is inside the driver's side frame rail, under the truck. Simple stuff..........

You have any idea of what kind of maintenance it might have had?

I'd check or change all fluids from front to back....

What year an model?

good wheeling,

Jager
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

Guys, thanks for all you help. Its a 1984 5 speed manual. Cant remember the engine size off hand, but has, I think, the 4 inch raised suspension. It has overdrive (which I think is the 5th gear?), but since I have had no contact with that before, I have no idea what difference if at all it makes in the grand scheme of things. It also has, I believe, an manual shift for 2 wheel - 4 wheel.

The fluid levels seem to be in order, although Im unsure about the power steering. I haven't experienced any issues with it so far but there is definite evidence of a leak of some sort in the past. Im suspecting that it really needs the electrics overhauled. Ive ordered a Haynes manual, with a look to working on the easy stuff mentioned. I know the previous owner hardly touched under the hood in the 5 years he had it. Its been neglected.

Ive had the timing go in older Fords Ive owned, however, given this is electrical timing rather than mechanical, Im guessing its more likely the spark plugs and leads to start with. Also, to ask another dumb question, I presume its a standard inline fuel filter?

Again I really appreciate all the info you can give me. Im pretty excited about this car. It seems like a real fun machine.....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
DZK007

Post by DZK007 »

neb_scot wrote:Guys, thanks for all you help. Its a 1984 5 speed manual. Cant remember the engine size off hand, but has, I think, the 4 inch raised suspension. It has overdrive (which I think is the 5th gear?), but since I have had no contact with that before, I have no idea what difference if at all it makes in the grand scheme of things. It also has, I believe, an manual shift for 2 wheel - 4 wheel.

The fluid levels seem to be in order, although Im unsure about the power steering. I haven't experienced any issues with it so far but there is definite evidence of a leak of some sort in the past. Im suspecting that it really needs the electrics overhauled. Ive ordered a Haynes manual, with a look to working on the easy stuff mentioned. I know the previous owner hardly touched under the hood in the 5 years he had it. Its been neglected.
Ive had the timing go in older Fords Ive owned, however, given this is electrical timing rather than mechanical, Im guessing its more likely the spark plugs and leads to start with. Also, to ask another dumb question, I presume its a standard inline fuel filter?

Again I really appreciate all the info you can give me. Im pretty excited about this car. It seems like a real fun machine.....
Brake light, pull up on the emergency brake lever. It might be a bit lazy and not come all the way up to put out the light. If light stays on it's the proportioning valve and you might have a brake problem or just need to bleed them. Not much money but a bit of time to fix.
On the drivers visor it should have instructions for the 4x4 engagement. Flip the visor down.
Pull the short stick towards you to the first stop and you have 4wd hi. Push stick sideways towards your leg and pull back all the way for 4wd Lo. In between there is a neutral spot.
You probably have a 2.8L V-6. Give it a tune up - plugs wires Brass contact cap & rotor, fuel filter and air filter. You might need to adjust the choke after doing the tune up....
'84 Bronco II, 3.0L, 4X4, 5spd, D-35+8.8 w/31spl Explorer axles, some suspension mods.....

410fortune Owes ME $$$ !
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

wow that was incredibly concise! - I'll let you all know how it works out....

thanks again.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
MrD

Post by MrD »

My 84 is a 2.8L carb. The fuel filter was inline just before the carb and nothing on the frame rail for the 1984.

My brake light just started coming on and then it goes off and then comes on at random. I am going to check all my brakes lines and hope that all I need to do is bleed the system being I already checked the rear and put new front rotors and shoes on.

good luck
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

The 84's are a bit different than the others because they're the first year. Be careful with the rear hatch latch, it's the only year that these specific ones were used and a real bear to find.
Couple items:
Before you put it in 4wd, either Hi or Lo, make sure your hubs are turned to the correct position (front wheels labled on hubs).

As the guys said, change out the filters, wires, plugs, rotor, cap BEFORE trying any tuneups!

You mentioned timing. If you haven't done this much before, make sure to disconnect the wire that is hanging from the firewall (above and attached to the distributor) to get the timing correct and come off the #1 plug. (I even had a certified mechanic miss this one and timed it wrong)
It says to time at 10 degrees, I like it at 12.

Lastly, make sure you go through the complete carb tune up in the manual that you ordered. Take your time and do it right, then do it again. Follow the directions and you should have the carb adjusted properly.. Too many times this is skipped or only partially done.

Your manual will tell you all this, but sometimes we skip the reading for the pictures... :mad2:
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

Just an update for those who are interested....

I had a friend get his mechanic to take a look at the ignition. They replaced the plugs, cables, distrubitor and possibly the coil. Since then achieving speeds of 65mph is no problem! Im still going to have to rebuild/clean the carb as it still sputters etc. There is no real noticable power loss but you can still tell its getting a bit ahead of itself.

On a different note - the breaks - glurgh - checked the master cyl and the fluid is BLACK in the reserves. Apparently the mechanic took a the rear breaks and they are "shot" in his own words. Still to find out what he actually did - but I have to assume that he was referring to the dirt and worn brake shoes rather than the system failing. Either way I got a heck of a job ahead of me. Here is hoping the bleed nipple is still intact after 26 years.....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift