Willys Pickup and the death of the bronco II

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Rockcrawler

Willys Pickup and the death of the bronco II

Post by Rockcrawler »

Well i picked up a 1948 willys pickup, that will be going on the frame of the bronco II. Once i get the registration all figured out i will be pulling the body off and repairing all the rust and building up the cage using parts of the cage off the bronco. This truck will be able to drive on the road around town, still will be a far cry from street legal but i figure around town should be fine.
Attachments
S5001021.JPG
S5001022.JPG
S5001023.JPG
S5001024.JPG
Nobody

Re: Willys Pickup and the death of the bronco II

Post by Nobody »

One thing I've always insisted on is the ability to drive on the street. Are you keeping the 44's? Drop in from time to time and post up some pics of the progress.

One of the local guys here used to wheel a willy's pickup.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Yeah it will still be on 44's and still wheeled just as hard but it will be registered. I will only drive in town never about 40. Its just to go to the ranches and cruse around in something fun. It will have a heater for one day i want to play in the snow! still havent :frown: Right now im in the process of getting all the paper work done with it on the old frame because my bronco has full hydoilic and is a far cry from street legal if i run into any problems
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

update. Still working on getting it register. I weighed it but now im waiting for a budy to come and check out the vin that some how appeared on the jeep. I got the bed off. damn thing weighed a ton!! im thinking about making my own bed now, and the dang thing had 24 bolts holding it on and the body only has 4!!! The rear axle is so old looking!!
Attachments
S5001027.JPG
S5001035.JPG
S5001037.JPG
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Finally got some real work done. Cut out the bottom corner pannel on the passenger side. I replaced with some heavy square tubing that i will use as the base for my roll cage that will be built into the body.
Attachments
S5001042.JPG
S5001043.JPG
S5001044.JPG
S5001045.JPG
S5001046.JPG
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

finshed up the other side, Put a bunch of rust converter on the floor both inside and under. I cut out the hood air vent becuase it was too rusted.
Attachments
S5001047.JPG
S5001048.JPG
S5001049.JPG
S5001050.JPG
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Got some more body work done and started tearing down the bronco II
Attachments
S5001092.JPG
S5001093.JPG
S5001094.JPG
S5001095.JPG
S5001096.JPG
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

more
Attachments
S5001097.JPG
1129081817.jpg
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for the update. Looks like you're almost done :D
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

got the body on and brouht the front clip around to see how it will look. This is with the front air bags all the way down. the clip can go down some more so it should look pretty good!
Attachments
1201081632.jpg
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Got the 351 in and the c6. Ran into some problems. The passenger side exaust goes right into the frame and when i welded the cracks it made the exuast shorter. So i will have to grind a little on the bolts and cut the manifold and reweld it so it will work with the truck. I put the front clip on to see how its going to look. It will have to sit up about an inch or two higher to clear the motor. but it will look good when done! its going to be a big beast!
Attachments
1206081608.jpg
downsized_1206081607.jpg
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

HOLY SHIT THE BRONCO IS ON FIRE
Well boys and girls i learned a great lesson today! I was just tourching off my old rocker pannels on the bronco II frame, real quick so i dont have the fire extengusher close by or anything smart like that. (I had been tourching on the other side of my shop earlier so the extenguisher was over there) When i got done with the one side i noticed a little flame inside the frame rail! I thought nothing much of it i have had this happen before were there was some old grease built up in there, so i blew on it. Then i realized it was a fuel line that was buring!!! FUCK!!! So i run over to the garden hose, and by the time i turn around Its bursted into a huge fire thats up to the roof of the overhang. I start spraying it down with little effect. Luckly some kids and there mom where out playing and they called 911 for me. I called my roommate to come out and help (he is also on the fire dept and my brother is). a guy driving by helped too with a hose from next door. I had three hoses on it and it finaly started to calm down. There was fire on the ground and fire running up towards the gas tank and towards the engine!! When the fire dept got there (and they got there quickly) the fire had been brought down to a pretty small size. Thanks god for small favors that nothing important burnt up and everyone was ok. I got a small burn on my hand, and a brusied ego. (my dad cought his house on fire a couple years ago and we all gave him a hard time about it guess its my turn now). I was going to redue the wires going back there anyways and now new fuel lines. So the moral of the story is always and i mean always have a fire extenguisher handy! I also took the old jeep frame to scap today here is a cool pic of them unloading it.
Attachments
1211081449.jpg
downsized_1211081658a.jpg
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

well got a new hood and put the body on!
Attachments
downsized_1217081424.jpg
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

dropped the body an inch and a half and mounted it all up. This is at ride hight
Attachments
downsized_1218081421.jpg
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

got some work done finally. I had welded up some cracks on the exhuast manifold but like a dumb ass i did it off the motor so it worped it. I had to cut it in half and bolt it up then weld it on the motor. i also had to cut and reangle the exhuast flang on the manifold. I took the front clip off to clean it up and make working on other things easier. I mounted the drivers seat. Put in the brakes other then a few finishing touches on the brakes.
Attachments
S5001099.JPG
S5001100.JPG
S5001101.JPG
S5001102.JPG