1985 Bronco II Carb replacement

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
allegara

1985 Bronco II Carb replacement

Post by allegara »

Hi;
I live in the Philippines, at the former US Navy base, Subic Bay. I have a 1985 Bronco II with a 2.8 liter engine and want to replace the original carb with a Holly 4 BBl. The existing carb just doesn't rum well, and no one knows anything about it. Can anyone recommend the Holly Carb model number that is correct for this engine? As there are no qualified technical people here, I will also need to purchase the technical manual for the carb that is recommended. Perhaps someone can recommend the supplier for the Holly unit. The Holly web site doesn't have sources for purchasing, only dealers websites that do not answer email.
I will purchase on-line and have the carb sent to a USA address.
I am open to any suggestions or advice.
Many thanks....
Art, Subic Bay
ranger5.0

Re: 1985 Bronco II Carb replacement

Post by ranger5.0 »

They used to sell a 4 barrel manifold that allowed a 390 CFM 4 barrel Holley. I believe that Offenhauser put this out. I don't have the numbers for the carb but they still produce it. The carb is rather expensive ($400).

A 380 Holley 2- barrel is more of a direct replacement. It isn't very cheap either. I recommend getting a FoMoCo replacement carb off of a early model Crapi or pinto. It doesn't have all the emission bs and they work rather well up to higher rpm's. You will have to change ignition system as well because of the computer stuff.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.