1350 front output shaft loose..What a do?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
87xjmike

1350 front output shaft loose..What a do?

Post by 87xjmike »

When I grab the yoke it has about 1/4 inch of play side to side. The ujoint attached to the yoke is also trashed and needs replacement, which may or may not have been the culprit of this play that I’m seeing in the front output yoke. I have zero experience with the 1350 tcase... Has this happened to anybody else and what kind of fix does this entail? I'm hoping its just a stretched out chain. If the case if f-ed then maybe I’ll try a 1350/1354 doubler as this is a green stickered off road rig only.
Application; 84 b2 2.8l- 4speed manual tranny, the only numbers or letters I could find on the case of the tranny was R4
The t-case works and engages fairly smoothly and I’m able to hit all gears while in 4 high and low. I'm tempted to just leave it until it breaks. I've still put virtually nothing into this rig and I can't seem to kill it no matter how hard I beat on it.

$400 as is
Shot with DSC-T1 at 2008-07-10
vabronconut

Re: 1350 front output shaft loose..What a do?

Post by vabronconut »

im no pro but it sounds like the cone bearing in the output shaft has had it. you might be able to just replace the bearing and race
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

before you get too far into it I would call around to local junk yards and see what a new case runs. if you can get another one for $50 just swap it out...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
87xjmike

Post by 87xjmike »

good call vabronco nut, the cone bearing might very well be the culpret. I'll try that first as it would be much easier than replacing the case, and i'd hate to take one out that is working great.
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

87xjmike wrote:good call vabronco nut, the cone bearing might very well be the culpret. I'll try that first as it would be much easier than replacing the case, and i'd hate to take one out that is working great.

did you ever get it fixed? and how did you do it.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
87xjmike

Post by 87xjmike »

I did not fix it yet, I took it out again and wheeled quite hard. I beat on the case pretty hard and nothing broke. The play is about the same. I may or may not fix it before the next offroading mission. Seeing as I have no money into it, it’s become difficult for me to start when it just won't seem to break as it stands.

Shot at 2008-08-19

I'll either fix the output shaft when I switch to exploder axles and am forced to build some square driveshaft’s or fix it when it breaks.