Fuel pump issue....New Bronco II and need some advice

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
starsgoblue84

Fuel pump issue....New Bronco II and need some advice

Post by starsgoblue84 »

:confused:

I'm buying a 86 Bronco II. I am told it need the fuel pump replaced. I know there's 2, but I'm told I only need to replace the high pressure pump since suposedly it will siphen the gas out of the low pressure pump. I was wondering if it will cause strain on the high pressure pump. Anyone know?? I just want to do what's going to be best for my Bronco. I just want to get both replaced since I have to depressurize the gas line anyways and stuff.
Brenjen

Re: Fuel pump issue....New Bronco II and need some advice

Post by Brenjen »

starsgoblue84 wrote::confused:

I'm buying a 86 Bronco II. I am told it need the fuel pump replaced. I know there's 2, but I'm told I only need to replace the high pressure pump since suposedly it will siphen the gas out of the low pressure pump. I was wondering if it will cause strain on the high pressure pump. Anyone know?? I just want to do what's going to be best for my Bronco. I just want to get both replaced since I have to depressurize the gas line anyways and stuff.

It will siphon gas through the low pressure pump in the tank as long as the vehicle is level or facing down-hill but it won't if the vehicle is going UP-hill. It will also stress the high pressure pump especially if it's driven in a hot climate. My advice is to tank off the tank & replace the low pressure pump & clean out the tank; (my wifes hand sand & rocks in it) also be sure to change both fuel filters (sump type before high pressure pump & the canister type after the high pressure pump).
skfury440

Post by skfury440 »

If you have the means to do both do them. Otherwise just do the high pressure one on the frame rail, I've got that setup now course my low pressure one seems to be fine. I'm gonna replace it asap the low pressure ones are fairly cheap.
'86 BII
'64 Tbird 428P.I. Full Restoration
'66 Sport Fury 383 4-Speed Car
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

i think maybe we should do a trouble shooting page for this and have a link dedicated just for it. once a week it seems someone asks this. it would make it allot easier if people who are having this problem could reference it,

im not complaining about the questions, im just thinking ig there was like a flow chart the guys could follow it may save them allot of time and money.

these questions usually start with " i replaced xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx............." after they spend a few hundred they start asking questions.

does anyone know how to start a page that is attached to this website ? it should be a option on the main menu.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if you want to write something up and submit it to the main page I am sure Nobody will look at it.

I always tend to go to the relay and check the wiring first when it is a fuel problem. deffinatly check the inertia switch under the driverside part of the dash.
after that turn the key on but don't start it and listen under the door. you should here the pump kick on for a few sec.
also a pressure guage doesn't hurt to throw on it and see what you got.

the absolute last thing I do is pull the tank...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com