Tranny question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bartmantom

Tranny question

Post by bartmantom »

in the midst of putting the diesel engine in. trying to figure out which tranny to go with, first option: original tranny and t case from the bronco II- would require adapter plate for bell housing and flywheel. second option - would be buying a T18 and 205 transfer case, third option, the C4 and dana 20 t case - would need a spacer made to go between the crank shaft and flex plate.

I called a tranny shop and they told me that the c4 would work in the 500 to 1800 RPM range, they also said I could adjust the - I think he said governer? to make the tranny shift ok. was he full of crap - or is this true?
DBrown

Re: Tranny question

Post by DBrown »

if I had the choice I like the NP435/D20 but it requires an adaptor. if I was going on the cheap it would be the NP435/205.

someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the T18 and NP435 use the same bell housing
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

The t-18 and 435 do use the same bell housing. The 435-205 is a good cheap setup, the 20 gives you more gearing but it's weaker and more expensive
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
wilber

Post by wilber »

the 435 and 205 would hold up well behind the diesel
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

so, I guess you guys wouldn't recomend the C4 dana 20 set up? even if the bronco is just going to be used on the street and gravel roads, no serious off roading.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

No, I would say that the 435-205 would be the way to go. The only down side to the 205 is the lower low range vs the 20. If your not wheeling it hard why spend the extra money on an aftermarket adapter and more sought after case when factory stuff will work and be stronger.
bartmantom wrote:so, I guess you guys wouldn't recomend the C4 dana 20 set up? even if the bronco is just going to be used on the street and gravel roads, no serious off roading.
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

the thing is I allready have the C4 and dana 20 set up for when I was going to put a 302 in, but decided to go with the diesel. the diesel puts out about 90 HP and 220 ft/lbs torq. I guess I could try and find a 435 and 205, I just thought it would be cheaper to go with the C4, as long as it would function properly and hold up to the torq
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I don't like autos but that is a personal preference. If you have the C4 / 20 combo and want an auto then by all means run it, I could not see that you will have a problem with that combo.