valve cover gaskets

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
yodaman1151

valve cover gaskets

Post by yodaman1151 »

so i know that this is a huge issue for the 2.9L's i replaced my driver's side gaskets twice now and i can't seem to get it to seal. the first time i over tightened it and cut the rubber gasket.. now this time it just hasn't sealed and i used a butt load of gasket sealer on it.... any tips i feel like such a noob not being able to accomplish this tiny task..
clem

Re: valve cover gaskets

Post by clem »

I've had this problem before,did you tighten them in sequence? Did you use the right torque? this really does make a differance. :canada:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
tekatlarge

Re: valve cover gaskets

Post by tekatlarge »

Something important to check!
You also need to make sure the valve cover flanges are flat and straight. Put a straight edge on the valve cover and make sure it is flat smooth and CLEAN. tighten the cover using the sequence from the manual and don't be tempted to tighten it just a little more.

So to recap,
1. clean and make sure the edges of the valve cover are clean and straight.
2. clean the edge of the heads.. use just a small very small amount of gasket adhesive (NO SILICONE) on the valve cover only. Stick the gasket to the valve cover. that is what the gasket adhesive is for.
3. position the cover and tighten in sequences to "The recommended torque.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast