Bronco 2 f150 4.9 straight 6 cyl manual 4x4 body swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
cbmlpm

Bronco 2 f150 4.9 straight 6 cyl manual 4x4 body swap

Post by cbmlpm »

I have never attempted anything you guys are talking about and all of it seems a little complicated to me for my first project, but I was wondering if I kept a watch for a f150 (or two) with a 4.9 straight 6 and manual 4x4 tranny, couldn't I simply swap the body and then just focus on the engine performance. The axles on a f150 would already be dana 44 or 60 right? Would I have to chop the grill for the I 6? I know I'd have to chop the frame right? All that is more in my grasp than playing with the tranny gears and doing conversions. Would you remove all the extras like power steering and a/c?
cbmlpm

First Time

Post by cbmlpm »

By the way... Did I mention I was new to this? Don't joke on me too bad. I just bought a new II that's in great shape and I'm excited about getting a project going.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I did a body swap on to a 79 Bronco frame and it wasn't too bad. but I did have some problems with some things.

look in readers rides under "DBrowns BII"...I think that was my topic name anyway. might be on page two. "fatman" did the same swap also but I haven't seen him post up on here lately.

I liked it ok but I wish I had gone threw the motions like everyone else and swaped it over to the BII frame. to me it just never looked right, and I am weird like that. don't get me wrong,it worked well. it just bugged me.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
cbmlpm

Body Swap

Post by cbmlpm »

So, was it easier? I just figured since I am not well versed on the tranny and drive train mechanics that I could at least be able to retro fit the body. The gearing and all is too complicated for me to start with. What were the biggest issues you had?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I had to fab body mounts, figure out how to make the hydro clutch setup connect to the mech. clutch linkage, fab a steeting shaft, run brake lines, rewire the motor harness, and the list kind of goes on and on. it is not as easy as it sounds.

that all being said it is easier then swapping all the drive train.

can you weld?

cbmlpm

Body Swap

Post by cbmlpm »

I haven't welded since high school. I am enrolling in the local tech school for some welding coarses and collision repair courses.
cbmlpm

Clutch

Post by cbmlpm »

How come I can't use the clutch that comes out of the f150. I was figuring on fabricating new body mounts, chopping what I had to and totally using everything from the f150 with the exception of lifts and engine perfs.
cbmlpm

straight 6

Post by cbmlpm »

I believe the engine compartment will be to small for the old straight 6 4.9 l 300.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

it depends on the year F150. also, I wouldn't waste my time on a TTB front end truck so make sure it is a F100 or F150 <=79

the clutch linkage is mechanical in the F series and your BII is hydrolic, so you have to get around that.

I would look for a 302/Np435/205 truck <=79.

to get past the linkage problem you could do some research on the bell housings in the early 80's and just gat a hydro setup for the application.

cbmlpm

TTB 205

Post by cbmlpm »

Not sure what TTB and 205 mean...? Thanks for the advice. Would I do better to just get an automatic 4x4 f series?
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

ha ha not exactly sure about 205 but TTB stands for Twin Traction Beam... the type of front end ford used on the B2
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

205= NP205 transfer case attached to the np435 tranny.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

Would I do better to just get an automatic 4x4 f series?
honestly, if your building the truck and you want a manual just get what you want to run and make it work.

you can get past 100% of those issues. I proved that. it just boils down to how much work, time, and money you want to spend.

ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I believe the Staight six will push your radiator in front of the grill. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.