cutting brakes

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
yodaman1151

cutting brakes

Post by yodaman1151 »

so i was looking at this forum site:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945084

They are wanting to leave the diff open and use cutting brakes to slow the spinning tire down and force power to go to the one with traction. the link in his post has an idea of taking out the pedal e brake and replace it with two separate hand brakes for this purpose. good idea or no? any input?
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

I have seen this done to make home made tanks, but in a regular 4x4 I don't think it would make sense. Might as well buy a locker.
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

you could do it with and ARB and drag the inside tire to turn sharper.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

they are great for making really sharp turns but suck fun traction and would be way better off with a locker.
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

yeah but lockers cost major money... so this wouldnt be worth the trouble then?
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

All the rail buggies do it, and they go where they want, when they want. Only real drawback is tremendous increase in brake wear/expense, and the learning curve to know what tire is spinning and how much brake to apply and when to apply for best results. if you are set on doing it, then buy 2 new rear parking brake cables for the right side, and then plumb them both up into the tunnel from each backing plate, Buy the proper handles for a rail buggy and go for it. You will immediately be disappointed, but as you learn to drive it you will get better with it.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I have turning brakes on my sandrail. It works in line with the mastercylinder. You plumb the turning brake in the rear line and then run two separate lines (right and left) to the axle. It seems to work well. And if you think about it.... almost all backhoes and older farm tractors have them. It would entail a new style of driving and I don't think you would benefit from it in the mud bogs and other straight line terrain.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

well i've yet to be found in the mud bogs but i knew all rockcrawlers and my uncles ancient tractor uses them to turn. i was thinking until i could afford a real one it could act as my "poor man locker" for those spots where one would come in real handy.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I like them on my backhoe as well. It is four wheel drive and it does become handy off road.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.