Manual to Automatic 4x4 restrictions?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
MXjunk127

Manual to Automatic 4x4 restrictions?

Post by MXjunk127 »

I have a 5 speed in my bronc. I like it alot, But I put a lot of miles on the truck. We go all over on the weekends to Race Motocross. Anyway, Will putting an automatic trany from a 4x4 85 limit my 4x4 capabilitys? Will hauling a small trailer put to much stress on it? it looked like it would bolt right up am i right?

I fuigure I'll be fine, but I better ask the experts!
Skin and Bones Motorsports.com
88' 4x4 6" SL, 33" TSL Radials
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

all the autos in the BII seem to be weak except for the c5. the c5 is similar to the c4. if it is anything else I would keep the 5spd. and yes it will bolt in. you might need to swap the crossmember and driveshafts incase it is a different length. but other then that it should work.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

Yeah, it should bolt right up, other than possible driveshaft length differences (as noted above) and you may want to swap the carb as well. The carb on the auto has the connection for the kickdown rod, but the carb for the 5-speed usually doesn't have it. And don't forget that you will need the flexplate as well as the spacer for it...

If its an overdrive auto (which would be an A4LD), then don't bother. I personally think the A4LD would be overpowered behind anything more powerfull than a Briggs & Stratten. The C5 is almost identical to the C4, which is plenty strong for towing/hauling (it just doesn't have the lockup torque converter or overdrive)
:redneck: RRORC CA-W region rep :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

its the The C5 i think, and i have EFI. Ok, I am going to do it aslong as my 3" bodylift comes in. My driveshaft is being built in a shop near rockwall for free because the previous owner had a warenty on the driveshaft. The service guy said he knew what the problem was... So...
Skin and Bones Motorsports.com
88' 4x4 6" SL, 33" TSL Radials