Econoline 302

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Jbroncoh

Econoline 302

Post by Jbroncoh »

Still working on the swap. Just looking for an engine. Went to a couple yards yesterday & saw a bunch of Econoline 302's in pretty good shape. They all seemed to have the rear sump oilpan. Probably less horses though. Can anyone tell me if it would be a good or bad choice?
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Carbed? EFI? If carbed you might be able to use the mechanical fuel pump. So that's a plus. It will either have a small diafram pump or one with the diafram moved to the top side. The later is want you want if you go that route. I ran a small diafram pump for a while but it didn't work very well above about 10,000 feet.

Maybe someone else has a lillte more info.
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

EFI is a must. Anyone else with a little more info? Maybe? Please.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Stepping up to a V8 will be awesome in itself. I run a stock 77 302 from right in the middle of smog era and it's got plenty of power for a BII. I would like a little more power for the snow though......

So basically I say take what you can get, or hold out for a Mass Air Mustang or Thunderbird engine if you want max performance. I assure you that you'll be thrilled with even a stock 302.

I don't know much about specs on the econoline engines though. I know the truck engine intakes can cause some clearance problems.
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

Yeah the BII is so small as it is, just the thought of any 302 in there just makes me drool. I looked in that Econoline engine compartment though & the whole engine & components just looked so huge I wonder if it will all fit or if I need to find something a little more compact. Anyone?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

instead of going with a mechanical pump why not just hit autozone and get an electric pump and wire it to a toggle? I have the same thing on my 76 F100 and it works well. you then don't have to deal with all the fitment issues.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Jbroncoh wrote:Yeah the BII is so small as it is, just the thought of any 302 in there just makes me drool. I looked in that Econoline engine compartment though & the whole engine & components just looked so huge I wonder if it will all fit or if I need to find something a little more compact. Anyone?
It will fit. Like was said already the T-bird and Stang are easier to fit in. Or a 4.0 would be another option.
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

Okay, I'll be honest. The only reason I'm investing any time & money at all into this BII other than the fact that it was given to me is the fact that I can throw a 302 in it. So a 4.0 just will not do. Hopefully after that point it will begin to peak my interest & I will move on to bigger & better things on it such as axles & such. Sad to say if it doesn't peak my interest, well I guess I'll call it a learning experience & migrate back to my true calling... The original Bronco. Yes, the truth comes out. I'm true blue 66-77 for life! Anyways, I'm truly excited about this 302 BII project even though it is very slow coming right now, so I just ask all you true blue BII fans to please be patient with me & please offer me any support I may need so I can too love my BII as you do. Thank you.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I think it's safe to say we all like the EB's.

However,I truely believe a Bronco II built to EB specs will out wheel the EB. Mostly because it's quite a bit lighter. I know the EB's have a hard time keeping up with me, especially in the snow. Body parts are also plentiful for BII's. I don't like seeing the EB's get bashed up these days.

I hope to have an EB someday for cruising around town, backroads and such. The EB crowd has a lot of social events that it would be fun to be a part of as well.
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

Thank you Nobody for your encouragement. Though I still have great difficulty believing that the BII will ever out perform the EB, if not for any other reason than that the EB has at least a slightly longer wheelbase than the BII. Just as a pick up & even a scout have a slightly longer wheelbase than the EB. Not to say that either one of those would have a chance, but none the less longer wheelbase = better climbing potential. I can picture the Stance of the BII with EB axles. That would be stout because as you say the BII is lighter & with EB axles its center of gravity is more centered (left to right) Front to back the BII is at a slight disadvantage, wouldn't you agree? So do you have an EB spec BII? I've checked out the readers rides & I'm guessing that yours might be the '84, 302, NP435, Dana 20, Dana44, Dana60.... As of yet I think I'm kinda set on the basic C4 & Dana 20 although I would LOVE to convert to a stick. Any idea how hard that would be? Also if I did, any suggestions? How'd that NP435 fit? Also not to lose track of why I started this post, would you advise for or against the Econoline engine? Any specs, pics, recommendations or ideas you can offer me will be greatly appreciated. If you need, my email is Jbroncoh@aol.com. I do truly see the BII's potential, even though the top doesn't come off & the windshield doesn't fold down. That's nothing a good sawzall can't fix though.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This is my website, so yep that one is mine.

Actually, the BII wheelbase is longer than the EB by 2 inches. EB's I believe are 92" and BII's 94". When I put my 60 in the rear I used FS Bronco springs and moved the axle back an additional 2" for 96" total. Someday when I get around to it, I'm going to move the front axle forward 1-2 inches for more tire/firewall clearance.

The EB and BII are the same width.

My BII is very very stable since the axle swaps. With the back cut off, it's a little nose heavy, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact it might be a good thing for climbing. BII's also have a massive 23.5 gal fuel tank located behind the axle which is nice.

Check out the rest of the website www.broncoii4x4.com . I have hundreds of wheelin, engine swap, and axle swap pictures to browse though.

As I mentioned before, my only concern about the econoline would be intake manifold clearance which and be swapped out easy enough. But if you are after max performance, then you want the mustang or t-bird mass air engines.

Check out this post
http://www.broncoii4x4.com/forum/viewto ... =forgotten
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

Wow!! Thanks a lot Nobody!!