rear driveshaft trouble!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
MXjunk127

rear driveshaft trouble!

Post by MXjunk127 »

Well, My Broncs rear driveshaft broke into a whole lot of peices. I think Its because when the previous owner put the lift on it, The driveshaft did not have the length, and It must have put to much strees on it. It had to have alot if it binded like that. Pics soon. Atleast It could be driven home in 4.

What do you think caused it? Is there a better solution than extending a driveshaft from the Salvage yard?

Thanks
Skin and Bones Motorsports.com
88' 4x4 6" SL, 33" TSL Radials
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Do you have the u-joint type or CV(ball and socket) drive shaft?
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

I HAD u-joint. The one coming from the transpher case is totaly shattered.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

is your 6" lift a body lift? 6"BL is what is showing in your signature. if it is all body lift then the lift would not cause it because their is no change in the suspension. you might have just blew one. was their any indication of one comming apart on you before it went? also what were you doing when it went?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

When I was running stock stuff, I had to change u-joints every couple years with a 4" suspension lift. A 6" lift would probably really take it's toll on u-joints, depending on how it's driven.

While you likely do need a longer driveshaft, it wouldn't help the operating angle of the u-joints. I think you probably just wore it out.
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

Measure up the FRONT driveshaft from an early model Explorer. It is about 1.5" longer than a stock 84 T/K 5-speed rear shaft, has bigger U-joints, and takes very little fabrication to bolt in. Solved my driveshaft grenading problems...
:redneck: RRORC CA-W region rep :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
DZK007

Grenades

Post by DZK007 »

I HAD a stock one, -- came apart when I just got mine going well. I am currently running a set of blocks in the rear and the spring wrap is a problem. I had a custom shaft made for me at a local shop to compensate for the lifted length and it runs much better.
To get rid of the blocks I'm going to use the leafspring perches from an explorer. They drop the eye of the spring to down below the frame instead of beside it. These will also reposition the leafs under the frame rails and not be a bolt in unless you want to move the spring perches on your axle. But since I'm swapping in an 8.8 explorer axle it is a piece of cake to do then.
'84 Bronco II, 3.0L, 4X4, 5spd, D-35+8.8 w/31spl Explorer axles, some suspension mods.....

410fortune Owes ME $$$ !
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

I used a rearched "sloder spring, with about 2 1/2 inch of extra arch from stock, then a set of Bell-Tech lowering shackles for a Chebby truck(upside down for their application) and ended up with 5 3/4 of spring lift, then like an idjit I stuck the 4 in blocks back in too, looks very nasty and ugly. I have to take a run start and jump to get in the drivers seat and I'm 6 foot! Center of fender measures 41 inches to ground now, way too high.

Waay high, blocks are coming out tomorrow.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

Thanks for the replys, I had a custom one made from a freind. I havent been able to test it out yet because i'm letting my new valve cover gaskets seat.

rmyers2051-are you running the 2.9 with the axle swaps? I am interested in doing the same conversion in mine and wanded to know how it changed the ride on the street and off road performance.

thanks yall!
:redneck:
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

MXjunk127 wrote:

rmyers2051-are you running the 2.9 with the axle swaps? I am interested in doing the same conversion in mine and wanded to know how it changed the ride on the street and off road performance.

thanks yall!
:redneck:
Yes, stock 2.9, 4.10 gears, rides better on the road than it did stock, stops waaay better. Have no sway bars so I am a bit more leary about slammin into tight curves at speed.
92 XJ-wifes toy
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

Sweet! thanks for the info, I guess your underpowered?
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

It won't burn the tires off or even bark them good in a tight turn(thats what my PSD xcab does best), but it will run down the highway at legal speeds (+50%) any time you want and still do 18 or so for fuel mileage.
92 XJ-wifes toy
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

Neat o, Thanks again!

Now,

Wanted:

D44 Front

Ford 9" rear!
unfknreal

Post by unfknreal »

Blue_coyote wrote:Measure up the FRONT driveshaft from an early model Explorer. It is about 1.5" longer than a stock 84 T/K 5-speed rear shaft, has bigger U-joints, and takes very little fabrication to bolt in. Solved my driveshaft grenading problems...
I'd like more details on this swap... got any information you want to share? I need to replace my b2 rear shaft really soon.