duraspark question?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
garagedude

duraspark question?

Post by garagedude »

can the stock 84 distributor be used with an ignition like the msd 6? or do you have to use a pinto distributor?
I May get Lost But I Don't Get Stuck

84 BroncoII, Locked, Winched, Big Tires,
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

you should be able to use it with any ignition system. you will have to go to msd to get the wiring diagrm for your app.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
garagedude

duraspark question?

Post by garagedude »

Thanks for the help. I got the "pinto" distributor from advance, but they don't carry the adapter for that dist. And the old one from my 84 BII won't fit. If they can't find a adapter to fit, I will have to go back to the stock dist. I'm going to use a msd 6al and blaster coil. How much differance is there between the pinto dist. and the stock one that I have?

ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

If the 84' has an EEC IV dist. then there is alot of difference. EEC IV dist doesn't have a vacuum or mechanical advance. this was all done with the computer. I have just set the advance at about 36 degrees TDC at idle and this seemed to work ok though out the running range. This is a popular setting for race engines that use mechanical advance only. But the spend mosst of their running time at the higher rpm. This will make it hard to start when the engine is hot sometimes. I believe a 77' crapi uses the smaller dist cap. maybe look at that application for your new dist.
garagedude

duraspark question?

Post by garagedude »

Here's what I found out.
When changing the 84 Bronco II to a duraspark ignition I've learned that when I ordered a distributor, Advance Auto part#30-2691 (single vacuum line) it doesn't come with a cap adapter to fit the larger cap. Advance doesn't list a cap adapter for that distributor. The cap adapter part # FR109 which fits about 20 other fords, will fit #2691 distributor. Along with those you will need a rotor#FR106 and a cap#FR121. The distributor and cap adapter both had to be special ordered.

garagedude

duraspark question?

Post by garagedude »

Whats going to be a good timing number for the 2.8 with the 2691 distributor which has a single vacuum line? I'll want to ck total advance too since my timing light does this easy.

Willie Two

Post by Willie Two »

I'd like to try and see how my B2 will run with out the computer connected to the dist, I've removed all other emission controls and find it runs great so far except for a small miss in the engine with I am currently thinking is a bad valve or something else mechanical. How can I do a temporay power feed to the existing module / distributor just for test purposes. Thanks to all who reply
Willie Two

just a question

Post by Willie Two »

can you power up the distributor of an 84 2.8 B2 just by applying 12 volts to power up the module?? ( realizing there would be no timing advance. )
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I was refering to the EEC IV dist when I said to set the timing. Not the pinto one. Though I myself would probably not use the vacuum advance. They sell different springs to set your timing curve.

I have not removed the computer in conjunction with the EEC IV distributor. I am sure you could get it to work if you found out which wires are supposed to go to the coil and which one is the 12 volt supply. I would research if the module actually requires 12 volts. The computer may only feed it 5-6 volts maybe. Just a thought. Most of the sensors run on 1-5 volts if not less. All they do is send a signal to the computer to tell it what is going on with the engin. Then the computer tells another part what to do to compensate for this.
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

Hey, was looking around today and found this. I think it'll answer all your questions!

http://home.att.net/~performance2800/Co ... Specs.html