Crazy Engine swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Wicked Bronco II

Crazy Engine swap

Post by Wicked Bronco II »

Alright I was wondering if this is even possible. I own a 88 Ford 1 ton Diesel Van, and need to know if my 7.3l would even come close to fitting in a Bronco II or Exploder... Thanks for the input.
I believe you understand what you think I said but im not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant....?
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

WOW!!! the weight of that motor is gonna be a big factor. i dont think it'll work, but if you do attempt this please keep us posted. i think if you want a diesel you'd be better off with a smaller one.
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
bigswede

Post by bigswede »

Someone out there is making a kit to install a VW car diesel 4cyl into a zuki sammy. Might be a decent swap for a Bronco II. Lotsa room,and much lighter! If I had the bucks, I`d consider it.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Why not go the van body off and BroncoII or Explorer body on? THen you should be able to figure out a way to install it. Much easier then trying to put a ton of stuff in a 1/2 ton of space.
bigswede

Post by bigswede »

I`ve allways loved the idea of a 4x4 van! It`s an all terrain shaggin` waggin!
Wicked Bronco II

Yeah i was thinking about the weight also... and if i put a suspension to support that weight it wouldnt flex much at all, of if you know of anyway to hold the weight and have some articulation please let me know. Cause the van is so heavy that if you dont put load range E's on it they will just blow out right when they warm up.
Id love to do this because i love the torque of my van but its so dang heavy it just sinks, maybe i should just put a axle in front, ill have to do some research to find out how big the axle is in the rear.
Attachments
DSCF0015.JPG
I believe you understand what you think I said but im not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant....?
Wicked Bronco II

My other toy
Attachments
DSCF0018.JPG
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

DUDE you have an odyssey!!!

We gota go wheeling some time!

The odyssey was my first toy a few years back, I miss it so much, I'm thinking of picking up another one instead of a bike... Or maby a pilot...

anyway, that would be a CRAZY swap, I would think near imposible...
Attachments
LS2-2.jpg
LS2-2.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
Skin and Bones Motorsports.com
88' 4x4 6" SL, 33" TSL Radials
Wicked Bronco II

Yeah thats my Oddy it's got the stock 2 stroke 350 but its been rebuilt and bored over to around a 425 so it shit and gets now but i need racing tires cause the mud grips mess up my donuts.
MXjunk127

Post by MXjunk127 »

cool!

Ive been to Lake whitney MX a few times, where do you wheel?
Skin and Bones Motorsports.com
88' 4x4 6" SL, 33" TSL Radials
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

why dont you make the van a 4x4 and use it as a tow rig for your bII? i think you van has a d60 or d70 rear.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

my bet would be a 70 if its a 1 ton. 3/4 tons came with the 60. An axle swap wouldnt be to hard to do on that bad boy.
Wicked Bronco II

thats a good idea i never even thought of my van being my tow rig, but because im only 18 im just getting started i must have a gas saver. The van does get like 10mpg but it doesnt have a/c. It does have one guaranteed thing about it (doesnt attract women). Dont get me wrong i love this thing when it fires up with that harsh cold diesel sound, makes me seem powerful until i put it in gear. But it will pull anything, just needs tires (and a front axle).
Wicked Bronco II

sorry i meant 19mpg not 10, i dont know how to edit a post.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Wicked Bronco II thats a good idea i never even thought of my van being my tow rig,
that's what we're here for ;)

edit button top right corner of your thread. i'd do some research 19 mpg is pretty damn good. i get like 13 in my fullsize bronco. im not realy a fan of van's but if i had what you have i'd be all over it.