88 B2 no spark no fuel no starting

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Syko

88 B2 no spark no fuel no starting

Post by Syko »

I figure its the TFI but dont know what i need to get the old one off i have a new one waiting to get put on... i just need some help anyone know how to get the TFI off without taking the distributer out of the engine.. its in the most retarded spot i have no idea why ford would do somthing like that :mad: any help would be really appreciated Thanks
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The TFI is held on by two screws. I dont' recall what size.... 7mm or something weird. I think some are torx. Then the TFI will pull down. When you install the new one you have to be sure and use thermal compound. Not dielectric grease. I expect the new one will come with some.

Removing the dizzy would be the easiest. At the very least, you might want to turn it for better access to the screws. If you mark the base, you can spin it back into position when done.

I'm not convinced the TFI is your problem though. It wouldn't cause you to loose fuel. Try pulling codes.
CraigK

Post by CraigK »

Syko

This one I know. It's 5.5mm. Yes . . . 5.5mm. (At least on my '87 B2) Why? Ask FORD!

I had trouble finding 5.5mm as an individual socket for sale.
Anywhere. At any price.

So what I did was: bought a supercheap low quality Chinese metric rachet/socket set that included the 5.5mm socket. (I think $9.99) at a Walmart or something. The 5.5mm socket in the kit was still too fat the fit in the recessed holes on the back of the TFI unit, so I then had to grind down the outside of the non-rachet end of the socket until it would fit into the recessed hole. Then taking off the TFI is just a matter of unscrewing the two recessed bolts.

There is probably a FORD special tool$$$$$$ for this.

If you remove the unit, you must reinstall it with some sort of dielectric gel between the TFI and the distributor. BTW - the TFI did not turn out to be my problem.

Good Luck.
CraigK
CraigK

Post by CraigK »

Ooops!

Just re-read Nobody's post. Probably a special thermal gel on the TFI unit, NOT dielectric as I stated. (Been a while. Sorry.)

CraigK
Willie Two

Socket

Post by Willie Two »

I just did mine using a 7/32 nut driver, I had to cut off the handle and turn it with vise grips. I also have another replacement dist. and the 5.5 mm screws also have a slotted screwdriver grove across the head of the nut. Use a small inspection mirrior and a flashlite to look at yours before starting this small but painfull task. Shine the flashlite into the mirrior for a closer look. :idea:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I was just at Napa and I saw a TFI tool on the rack. It was $6.
Syko

Post by Syko »

I replaced the old TFI with the new one and it still wont start up.. Ive found a test chart for TFI's and both the old one and the new one check out good... so now i have no idea whats the problem.. wiring?? where do i start there lol?? thanks for all the replies
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Start with the basics. Air, fuel, compression, spark.

A quick test to narrow things down is to spray some starting fluid in the intake and see if it fires. If so, then you know you have Air, compression and spark, leaving fuel as the problem.

It's reasonable to assume you wouldn't loose compression on all cylinders without a major mechanical failure(timing chain). So if it doesn't fire, you need to look more closely at the ignition system.
Syko

Post by Syko »

Nobody u mentioned a dizzy? what is that and how do u pull codes?.. I just grinned down a 7/32 and it fit perfectly wasn't as hard as i thought it would be but it wasn't the problem. I have most of tomorrow to figure out whats wrong.. so ill have another update tomorrow
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sorry, Dizzy is my slang for distributor.
Syko

Post by Syko »

Alright finally got to work on the b2 and I found this TFI trouble shooting page http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ostic.html which was awesome... now i know that my old coil/TFI are still good.. but now i have no clue what it is... EEC?? please someone help me!!! i think i have a gremlin pulling wires..
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Did you try my suggestion above?
Syko

Post by Syko »

I know it wont fire because there is no spark.. Ill give it a try tho.. It ran good before until i drove up this lil hill climb and it stalled out and hasnt started since.. The fuel pump doesn't turn on when turned to RUN but when i close the relay it the pump starts.. Ive bought a new relay and still nothing.. Ive bypassed the inertia switch so thats not it.. help?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Ahhhhh Now things are clear..:idea: :idea: :idea:

You say you were wheeling when it just quit. No fuel pump running.:puke:

Sounds to me you tripped the Fuel Pump Inertia Switch. :wtf:

It shuts off the fuel pumps and keeps them shut off if you roll the vehicle over or it gets a significant bump. :mad:

It is located on he firewall on the passengers side inside the vehicle. just above where your toes would be.

There is a white reset button on this little box. Push the reset and give that a try.

When this switch gets tripped it must be reset or you no go..

Check that out and see if I am correct in the diagnosis!!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Syko

Post by Syko »

Nope I said in my last post that ive bypassed it with a wire.. plus im still not getting any spark.. is there a way to test the pickup coil??