SNORKEL

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Jbroncoh

SNORKEL

Post by Jbroncoh »

Anybody know anywhere to get a snorkel for a BII or how to build one out of something better than corrugated drain pipe? I'm going with a fuel injected 302 so that will make a difference.
Born Again B2

Post by Born Again B2 »

:D Jbroncoh; I have the snorkle off of my ranger, that should fit your B2 O.K.. Its made by ARB, and I had it on my Ranger for 3 years. It was made for a Toyoto Land cruiser around 1985 model. I put it up beside my B2, and it looked like it would it would be O.K.. You can see a picture of it on the Chat board,(Hello People!!!) When the Ranger rolled over, the only thing that broke was the webbing in side of the aid scoop, but the scoop its self, is O.K.. Its made out of nylon plastic and can take a lot of rough treatment. They list for over $300 new, how does $125 sound, plus shipping? Let me know. :idea: Its all one piece, with a rubber hose that goes to your home made air box.
Last edited by Born Again B2 on Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84 B-2. 4.0, Headers,Cam,Nitros,Ported Heads, D-35 & 8.8 with 31 spline axels, 4.56 Gears, Detriot Lockers. Built C-5.
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

Hey Born Again. Wow thanks for responding. Seems like almost every time I think I come up with a cool question nobody wants to talk about it. Hmmm, oh well just my luck I guess. Anyway, are you sure that snorkel would fit the BII? Why don't you put it on yours? Sounds like a great deal on that sucker (no pun intended). I would take it off your hands right now but I've gotta try & save all I can right now for the conversion. I can't wait till that's done. Could be a little while. Something might come up though; especially if I can ever manage to sell any of this 2.9 stuff I'm pulling out. I'm very interested. So what's the status on your BII? Haven't heard anything lately. Keep us posted & I'll do the same.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if you are wanting to water proof your motor you will need more then a snorkle. the reason why people make them out of pvc is that it is a good cheap way to do it. I plan on doing it to mine when I get the cab swap done.

-water proof your electronics
-crank case compression
-extend you vent tubs

this will make it better for water travels.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Born Again B2

Post by Born Again B2 »

:cool: Well, I got the motor,transmission,tranfercase in. So now, Iam getting the drive lines made up. Its a slow go, but its coming togeather O.K.. Iam haveing to sell more stuff to get the money for the B2. Thats why the snorkle is for sale. :frown:
84 B-2. 4.0, Headers,Cam,Nitros,Ported Heads, D-35 & 8.8 with 31 spline axels, 4.56 Gears, Detriot Lockers. Built C-5.
Jbroncoh

Post by Jbroncoh »

I know how it is Born Again, my conversion is very slow coming for the same reasons, but hopefully I'll get rid of some of this 2.9 stuff & I'll let you know. I'm still very interested. Hey DBrown, so you're running pvc on yours? What do you do, just measure & run appropriate angles where you need them? You just using french drain like I've seen on so many trucks or are you using some solid pvc connections? Also I clearly understand water proofing the electronics, that's a given, but what are you talking about crankcase compression & vent tubes? Also, just curious, why are you swapping the cab? Anything interesting?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

crank case compression would be running a small amount of pressure into the bottom end of your motor to counter act the vacume that is created. this vacume can suck water into the front main and you will end up with water in the oil pan.

extending the vent tubs will stop water from getting into the differential. what happens is the heat from the differential causes a vacume effect when comming in contact with cold water. this vacume will suck water into the housing if you do not extend them up higher.

I haven't started on my PVC snorkel set up yet because I have to do my body swap still. right now the 79 still has the 351M in it, but I have a spare 5.0L sitting in my Falcon that is going in. and I am planning on going EFI.

the reason for the cab swap is I have a 79 Bronco that has basicly everything I want to run so I figure one week of fabing body mounts or 4 weeks of making suspension brackets. the frame looks alot heavier, and think about it.....if something breaks all I have to do is hit a parts store and get a part for a 79 Bronco. I am still planning on wristing the radius arm, moving the gas tank up, and dove tailing the front. plus I get to cut up a truck and haul it off for weight. :D
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
wilber

Post by wilber »

born again, whats your email, i have a couple guys interested in your snorkle
Born Again B2

Post by Born Again B2 »

:idea: My e-mail is spookyandwiggles@msn.com. If any of you people would like to buy it, I can get shipping costs if you give me your city and zip codes. I had it on my Ranger for 3 years. Thanks
emg_warlock

Post by emg_warlock »

I've found a nice make it at home snorkel, thats all i can find. ARB doesn't make one for a bronco II application. But here u go, this is the link...... http://www.wildyoats.com/snorkel.htm
Damn squirrels never leave my head!
Born Again B2

Post by Born Again B2 »

Sold the Snorkel to Jeff, up in Alaska. He is going to put it on his Ranger.