HELP! Rear Brake Drum Removal

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
CraigK

HELP! Rear Brake Drum Removal

Post by CraigK »

My '87 B2, AT 4WD is overdue for rear shoes. (Manufacture date 6/87.) Problem is, I cannot get the drums off. It almost looks like the drum is part of the axle hub??? with no "crack" visible around the hub???. I've been using release agent and beating on the drum with the backside of an axe, and still no-go. My POS manual shows separate drums like normal, but a bit of a different hub design.

Is there any models that had the drums integral to a hub piece? Or do I just have to keep beating on this sucker to get it off. (Any more beating and I don't think I'll be able to re-use the drum.)

Any help appreciated! Thanx.

CraigK
CraigK

Post by CraigK »

Got it!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You just got to keep pounding on them things. It helps if the adjusters aren't froze up and you can back off the shoes.

Glad you got it.
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Next time you have this problem make it easy on yourself. Some auto parts stores rent tools. What makes the job easier is a large 2 or 3 jaw puller. Make sure you have white greese on the threads of the puller. As you tighten it use the hammer to hit the end of the threaded shaft where you use the socket or wrench to tighten. If the Auto parts store won't lend you one they can be rented at most rental stores.

You can also prep the job with a wire brush and PB Blaster. Now that you know where to prep.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I would say that your drums are probably done if the shoes are spead out so far that they won't let the drum come off.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
greenmachine89

Post by greenmachine89 »

I agree with ranger 5.0 you might be needing drums. You could also use a slide hammer with a hook end to get the drums off.
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
CraigK

Post by CraigK »

Thanks everyone. I managed to pound the suckers off. The drums are A-OK, and the problem was seized wheel cylinders and missing adjuster cables. New rear brake lines (20+ years old), wheel cylinders, shoes and cables seems to have the problems solved.

CraigK