What other engines match the fit of a 2.8?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
PurpPplEatr

What other engines match the fit of a 2.8?

Post by PurpPplEatr »

I am going to swap my old engine out cause after all I have tried to do, it still finds more and more things to go out on it. the latest is starting to smoke and no apparent reason, it comes and goes at random.

anyways I just turn over the 200,000 mark on the truck and although I went through the top half of the engine, the lower half is original. I would pull it and rebuild but I need it for daily driving.

I would like to get another engine and simply build it and drop in. I dont want to get into swap kits and so forth. I have converted the thing over to duraspark and no computer so I want to keep it simply carb'd.

I heard that the 2.9 and the 4.0 is the same but I want to make sure before I go shopping. Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by PurpPplEatr on Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

With the 2.9 (or the 4.0), its mostly a bolt-in, other than the harness/computer and the fuel system. Both are EFI only though.

If you want to swap to another carbed engine, you are probably looking at either a replacement 2.8 or a 302
:redneck: RRORC CA-W region rep :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
PurpPplEatr

Post by PurpPplEatr »

will the intake off my 2.8 fit the 2.9 or the 4.0?
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

Nope. I've heard of someone doing a custom 2.9 intake with a carb, but it was just that: CUSTOM Oh, and Ford did much better with their TFI/EEC-IV ignition on the EFI engines than the butcher-job they used on the 2.8 Ranger/BII...

I've owned both cars and trucks with the 2.8 and my Ranger has a 2.9....

I feel that while the 2.8 is one HELL of an engine, the LAST place it should really be is in a truck, especially one that is used offroad.

In a compact (or subcompact) or in a sport truck the 2.8 is my engine of choice. In a 4x4 that gets trail use the 2.9 or 4.0 (with the EFI) is a better choice. Yeah, the 2.9 is a bit handicapped in the high-RPM department, but it has a smoother torque curve with a bit more grunt at lower RPM.

A built 2.8 will kick the hoop out of most 2.9's or 4.0's when it comes to street use though. I've yet to see a 2.9 or 4.0 hit over 7K, but at the RPMs usually used on the trail, a 2.8 is barely starting to develop enough torque to get out of its own way. :redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
PurpPplEatr

Post by PurpPplEatr »

Ok, If I'm gonna have to go with the 2.9 or the 4.0 im gonna have to do a major swap. the plan will consist of obtaining an entire wrecked vehicle and pulling all related components to swap into the 84, any ideas on what years/vehicles I can go to? I know where there is a 90? or so explorer totaled just sitting, if I can pull all the electronics and swap em over, it'll work.

I did this before when I changed my 85 Mustang to a '93 SEFI 5.0 so I do know what i'm in for, i just wondered if you guys knew if the SUV I know of will work for a full parts swap.
Blue_coyote

Post by Blue_coyote »

Excellent choice of donor. Off the top of my head, the only issues likely to develop are: gastank location (EFI tank needed...86-90 BII should work), rear spring perch location (I think an Explorer flip kit would work), possibly need to shorten the front driveshaft an inch, and maybe a few wiring changes...

If the Explorer has auto hubs, ditch them for manual hubs. If it has the electronic shift T-case, use the manual case that your BII probably has.

:redneck:
87 Ranger
85 BII
78 T-top Mustang II
some MTBs
PurpPplEatr

Post by PurpPplEatr »

Good deal, thanks for the info. Im off to try and aquire me an Explorer.