plan to fix my bronco II

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
84_4x4

plan to fix my bronco II

Post by 84_4x4 »

as some of yall know i broke my bII awhile back and i have been unable to get it to start due to no start so instead of throwing more and more parts i am going to take apart my distributor and make it into a hei similar distributor that requires no computer to fire. my plan is to figure out how to wire the pickup coil inside the dizzy to fire coil when triggered therefore starting my truck and my carburetor should work as normal may idle funny but then i will just adjust idle speed and timing.

i will let yall know how well it turns out i got 3 weeks to get my bronco running or im riding the school bus to school and i don't have the money for a t5 and new transfer case and drive shafts

anyone with a wiring diagram that you think would help me out please let me know because ive been unable to find anything about this being done but im determined to figure something out
Get Out Of Way Or Im Comin Over Ya
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

this conversion was easier than i thought i found a diagram on the auto zone website and i ran a few new wires and unplugged some others and my truck started right up and runs great it awesome to have my truck back after a few months driving a minivan
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Im glad you figured it out. Now come to Utah and help me fix mine.
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

are you having same problem because i can right it up step by step for you if you want it only took me a total of 2 hours to do
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

No mine is sitting in my garage with an almost completed D44 and a 5.0/AOD/1345 just loosely sitting in place. I have to make engine mounts, wire, crossmembers, exhaust, and drivelines.

I have lots to do, just no time to do it lately.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

84_4x4 wrote:...have my truck back after a few months driving a minivan
hey, man, i gotta drive an 06 focus wagon when my b2's down :frown:
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

does it knock and hammer like its gonna throw a rod after it sits for a few days :eek:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

So did you do the duraspark conversion? I'm confused :confused:
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

i used that concept but used my same distributor the only problem i found is no spark advanced
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Does the distributor have mechanical weights in side? I don't believe they do and that would mean you are not getting the full potential of the motor. We don't use vacuum advance on our race motors but the is still the means of mechanical. A good idea though.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

no im not getting any advance which sucks but it works as before it just sat i will invest in a 5.0 later ive got a 78 5.0 out of a ltd II that im gonna rebuild for my bronco and then build a 351 w for my race car
Paul

Post by Paul »

uhm i kinda had the same problem he had but all i did was run a hot wire from the bateery through a toggle switch and then to the distributor to the 2.9 when i had it in................. worked beautifull..............LOL and attached it so it backfed the wire to the pc when on, it advanced just fine afterwards.................. just a thought....... sorry it was a hindsight, i been gone lately, my daughter cam in to town to visit for the summer, i changed jobs, and been working on my BII cut the top off...............so i got an 89 with A CROP TOP........... STILL WORKING ON IT THOUGH, NOT FINISHED YET........ BUT TOPS OFF AND DRIVING DAILY.....
1989 Bronco II 4x4
Mitsubishi 146 5 speed,
Stock D35
235/75/15
4.0L upgrade
NO LIFT
Crop Top