Modified rear wiper arm

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Joel H

Modified rear wiper arm

Post by Joel H »

I'll be installing the lift glass into my hatch like I originally planned to, but wanted to keep my wiper. I always hated that stupid design of the wiper arm. Using the two links. Ghey setup if you ask me.

I was following an Astro/Safari van the other day and I noticed the rear wiper, single arm, and how it lifted off the window. I was going to look around the wrecker and see if I could find one and see if the splines fit but they didn't have any so I'm still at a loss if it will work or not.

So, I was thinking that I may be able to bend up a stock front linkage and see if that would work. No go. The spline is a different size. SO after a bit more pondering and wondering what the arm was made of it was decided that I would cut the two up and make them into one.

The front wiper arm has the pin on it so that I could even use the factory style wiper that was in the back. The arm was easy to bend a bit to shape it.

I cut the two arms in the middle of where the spring is and after doing so wasn't sure if I was going to get them back together as they sure looked like aluminum. Pulled out the welder and started tacking and sure enough they are steel. Welded it up and cleaned it up and a bit of paint later.....

Now I just need to make a bracket to lift the wiper off the hatch. This is now going to work perfect with the opening glass I'll be getting to install into BIV. Stay tuned for round two and see how the lift glass works out with this.