leaf spring question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

leaf spring question

Post by FatMan »

was wondering if any knew the difference in length of the fullsize spring and the b2 spring? i am going to cut the front/rear finders out. i want to stretch the rear a little and maybe run a longer rear leaf. Matt i know you were running fullsize bronco's if you remember how long were they? i cant remember im thinking around 58". i imagine the b2 springs are shorter.
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

actually the BII rear leaf spring are pretty long. I don't know the exact lenght off hand but are you wanting to run longer leafs to move the rear axle back? If so you could turn the springs around to get a longer wheel base but there are disadvantages to doing so like axle wrap. If you want to install longer leafs you would have to move the mounts on the frame and I wouldn't move the front unless its going ferther towards the rear and the rear mounts for the shackles are pritty much as far back as the can go.
Cutting the front fenders aren't all that hard but the rears are a nightmare bacause theres not much room untill you run into the wheel well. I just cut my wheel wells out with the fender thats I cut and made my own wells with 16 gauge steel.
Good luck.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

yeah im wanting to move the axle back about 4" but i also want to get a little more flex out of the leaves. you would happen to know how far back the axle will be if i turn the springs around would ya. i was thinking od doing that but really dont want to built a traction bar.

what im going to try this week is remove the overload on the rear leaves to see if that alows for the spring to stuff more. im also going to cut out the inner part of the finder well where the tire rubs. im not ready to strtch the wheel base just yet iu want to wait till i get my stubler then do it. im just playing around try'n to get some more flex out of the rear. when i do get ready to stretch the rear i will be building my shackle mount out on the rear side of the bumper like some of the yotas (maybe).
Joel H

Post by Joel H »

The F150 2wd leaves are about the same length as the B2 leaves +/- 1 or 2"

I'm running F150 leaves without the overload out back with an extended shackle. They flex pretty good. I need to get my bumpstops located so that I don't kill the leaves as I can put them into a negative arc.

I'll be installing Zero rate add-a-leaves to the pack shortly, when I put my doubler in. Moving the axle back 1.5" or so.

With moving the axle back 5" you going to have to look at a fuel cell as the tank "will" get in the way. Flipping the leaves around I think will get you almost 7-8" in streatch.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

joel how many leaves in your pack? im going to start with removing the overload this weekend then see how it flexes. im also going to rubber radius arm bushings. not sure how i want to stretch the wheelbase yet but i want to keep it cheap and simple. i figure i wil wait till i get the dubler for that. im also going to cut out a little of the inner tub so we shall see how things work out after that.
Joel H

Post by Joel H »

FatMan wrote:joel how many leaves in your pack? im going to start with removing the overload this weekend then see how it flexes. im also going to rubber radius arm bushings. not sure how i want to stretch the wheelbase yet but i want to keep it cheap and simple. i figure i wil wait till i get the dubler for that. im also going to cut out a little of the inner tub so we shall see how things work out after that.
4 I believe. My springs were re-arced at one time and another leaf added under the main.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The FS bronco springs are the same length, but the center pin offset is different, shorter.

My setup moved the axle back an inch or two, can't remember, but I'm sure I wrote it in a previous thread. You can't go back much more without running into problems with the fuel tank.

I wouldn't bother removing your overload, or reversing the spring packs. Axle wrap will be aweful.

I really liked the FS springs, and I'm going to try a set in my EB.

You do have a wristed arm right? Why do you need more flex than that?
Joel H

Post by Joel H »

Nobody wrote:The FS bronco springs are the same length, but the center pin offset is different, shorter.

My setup moved the axle back an inch or two, can't remember, but I'm sure I wrote it in a previous thread. You can't go back much more without running into problems with the fuel tank.

I wouldn't bother removing your overload, or reversing the spring packs. Axle wrap will be aweful.

I really liked the FS springs, and I'm going to try a set in my EB.

You do have a wristed arm right? Why do you need more flex than that?
I'm also running an F150 front spring mount. This allows me to go the 5" lift without blocks.

Here you see the difference.

Sorry after looking it looks like there is 5 leaves per pack. I've removed the lower overload as I don't plan to haul anything with the B2.

The only thing I found with this setup is that the rear sqwats alot under hard launches. It could also be due to the soft springs up front.

Stuffs a tire perfect in the well.

droop is good too.

I bet the reason for the rubber bushings is to ditch the polly bushings.
Polly's suck for flex.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

i dont seem to get the flex you get out of your wristed arm not sure why maybe becuz im a little lighter than you in the front. im not sure i cant seem to compress the coilsfully without lifting the front end. droop looks good on the other side though.

the back is limited on compresion becus the tires hit the inner finder well. the droop is okay in the rear but not like i would want it. i lowered the front to try and offset the lean and it helped but i know that my rig can flex better than it is. i just have to find out where i need to work it.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

If your front end isn't flexing, then there's some bind somewhere. Maybe shock busings and stuff are holding you back. The other problem would be if your rear is too soft. If you want, you can swing by and I can look at it.

I was real happy with my bronco before I retired it. The rear was nothing extreme, but it flexed well enough and kept the axle wrap under control.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

thats cool!! how do i get to your place. i might not be able to come up this weekend i have to fix a fuel leak first. im going to do that tomorrow. just let me know whens a good time for you and i'll make some time.

thanks