VALVES TAPPING.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
MADDOGNV

VALVES TAPPING.

Post by MADDOGNV »

ADJUSTED THE VALVES AND I STILL HAVE A HELL OF A LOT TAPPING NOISE. ARE THE LIFTERS BAD, IF SO, CAN THEY BE REPLACED WITHOUT PULLING THE HEADS. I READ IN ONE OF MY MANUALS THAT YOU SHOULD REPLACE THE CAM IF DOING SO. ITS GOT 150,000 ON IT AND I DON'T WANT TO DUMP ALOT OF $$$$ INTO IT. IT STILL RUNS GOOD.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

what motor do you have?

if it is the 2.8L your always going to have a certain amount of valve noise because it is a solid lift cam.

honestly if it is still running strong leave it alone. you do have to pull the heads to replace the lifters. you can also just replace the lifters and not the cam.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
MADDOGNV

84 BII 2.8

Post by MADDOGNV »

THANK'S FOR THE INFO.. I'D HATE TO HAVE TO PULL THOSE VALVE COVER'S OFF AGAIN.
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

My last oil change I used max life oil and Lucas Oil Stabalizer. Seemed to help.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

the book says 12,000 or 12 months on vale adjustment. What did you set the clearances at and was it warm or cold. I have found variations on settings throughout the 2.8 history. The cold adjustment has been the best. .014 intake .016 exhaust i believe.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
MADDOGNV

Post by MADDOGNV »

SET THE VALVES AT .014-.016 COLD. IT SAT IN MY DRIVEWAY FOR TWO YEARS UP UNTIL A COUPLE WEEKS AGO.ONLY PAIDED $200 BUCKS FOR IT. I'M USING 10/40 WEIGHT OIL. SHOULD I RUN SOMETHING HEAVIER? DO ANY OF THOSE ADDITIVES REALLY WORK? THE OIL LOOKED LIKE TEXAS CRUDE WHEN I CHANGED IT. I'LL TRY AND SEND SOME PICS TOMORROW.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

it is kinda cold out. I would run 10/30. Drve the truck around a while and see if it clears up.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

TYPING ON A FORUM WITH CAPS LOCK ON IS LIKE SHOUTING DURING A FUNERAL!!

One of my employees just bought an 84 and we adjusted the valves on it, .014/.016 with the engine cold( not ran for over 12 hours) and it is very quiet. 10/w30 rotella oil.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
MADDOGNV

Post by MADDOGNV »

Bob Myers wrote:TYPING ON A FORUM WITH CAPS LOCK ON IS LIKE SHOUTING DURING A FUNERAL!!

One of my employees just bought an 84 and we adjusted the valves on it, .014/.016 with the engine cold( not ran for over 12 hours) and it is very quiet. 10/w30 rotella oil.
Sorry Bob, i'm not much of a typist. all thumbs. My 83 Ranger, 2.8, the oil pressure gauge reads above the half way mark, but on my bronco,its about 1/3. Bad pump, sensor, or clogged screen? I"m not Mr. Goodwrench,mainly when it break's or wear's out fix it guy.
Sorry again guy's for the cap's.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Most of the stock gauges are near worthless for determining real pressure value, if you can add a manual gauge, even if only temporarily you'll get a better picture of what the oil pressure is doing. On a manual tappet engine losing oil pressure would not cause the valves to suddenly start tapping like on a hydraulic cammed engine, it would however allow the engine to be ran with no immediate signs that something is amiss in the oil department causing severe or fatal damage.
We are presuming of course a lot here, you have never said what this is yet.Also we are presuming that you are refering too your BroncoII, but we don't know what year or engine,,yet.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
MADDOGNV

Post by MADDOGNV »

Bob Myers wrote:Most of the stock gauges are near worthless for determining real pressure value, if you can add a manual gauge, even if only temporarily you'll get a better picture of what the oil pressure is doing. On a manual tappet engine losing oil pressure would not cause the valves to suddenly start tapping like on a hydraulic cammed engine, it would however allow the engine to be ran with no immediate signs that something is amiss in the oil department causing severe or fatal damage.
We are presuming of course a lot here, you have never said what this is yet.Also we are presuming that you are refering too your BroncoII, but we don't know what year or engine,,yet.
84 BII XLT 2.8, 150, 000 miles. Runs strong. Hope you don't have to deal with smog check's. There a pain in the butt every year with older vehicle's.