radius arm how much travel?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

radius arm how much travel?

Post by FatMan »

to all of yo solid axle b2 owners i just wanted to know how much travel does a radius arm have before it start to bind? fullsize coil's aint cutting it.

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id ... e=flex.jpg
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Not much. Build yourself a wristed arm, then decide if you need new coils.
BRONCMAN

Post by BRONCMAN »

I wish someone would build me a wristed arm. I have a welder, cutting torch, and all the tools to do it but my cutting with the torch isn't the greatest. Plus just what thickness of plate steel do you need? Anyway that is enough ranting from me.
1985 B2, SAS, F.I. 302, Custom bumpers & Roof rack.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

i used half inch steel. And it isnt to hard. Mine dont limit travel at all its the coils which still allow for alot of travel anyways so im happy!
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

once you wrist it the trac bar wil become the limiting factor

Post by Guest »

weel im planning on wristing it here pretty soon im just try'n to wait and see if my wife is gonna get the job she applied for. as soon as i know she has some money coming in im gonna start with the wristed arm and then i f i need it order the coil's.
foxfan

Post by foxfan »

i read somewhere on here that there is no gain in wristing if you have a low pinion axle.

i don't remember the guys name that told me, but he just did a SAS on a BII that had grey ground effects and crazy pinstripe/graphics on it. he posted some pictures driving up and down some ledge.
i did a search and looked through the threads and still didn't find what i needed!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

That's false. I have a low pinion 44.
foxfan

Post by foxfan »

i figured as much,

i've got my axles and grill from a '74 U-100. i'm cleaning them up and ordering rebuild kits and gears soon.

do you think i should wrist the arm while i'm doing the SAS, or wait till its all together and wheeled for a while?
i did a search and looked through the threads and still didn't find what i needed!
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

foxfan wrote:i figured as much,

i've got my axles and grill from a '74 U-100. i'm cleaning them up and ordering rebuild kits and gears soon.

do you think i should wrist the arm while i'm doing the SAS, or wait till its all together and wheeled for a while?
It's not hard to make a wristed arm. Do it when it's apart and throw it in during the swap, trust me it's worth it.
foxfan

Post by foxfan »

that's what i figured,

the skiboat is summerized now so i won't be doing much on the swap itself until @ late October.

i will be collecting parts for the disc brake swap and the susp. and gears, and of course making brackets.

so, i'll wrist the arm on rain days that i can't get on the lakes.
wilber

Post by wilber »

hey fox fan, im in south lyon and have 2 solid axle b2s here, both in pieces, :finger: we need to hook up sometime. jeffsbroncograveyard is having a swap meet this sat, may 8th. gonna try and make it but sounds like im workin :frown: