8.8 install with a twist (lift)

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
DZK007

8.8 install with a twist (lift)

Post by DZK007 »

I have an 8.8 from a '92 explorer (to install in my '84 bronco II) and have an idea for a cheap lift in the process. Let me know what you think on performance for off road, shock mounting, etc.... :hmmm:

:idea: I want to use the frame perches from the explorer wich will put the leafs directly below the frame instead of beside it like the stock ones. Doing this and mounting the axel below the springs like the stock 7.5 should give me 5" of lift or so and a good bit of wheel travel / flex.

:confused: My big questions are how well it will work, how stable it will be, how prone to side to side bounce, and where to mount the shocks.

This is my dedicated trail rig but I still have to have it road worthy. I also will be installing the D-35 front driveline from the same explorer with a 4" lift (hub to hub should be 3" wider stance? ) and any insight to doing this would be appreciated.

Let me know what ye-all think !!!
'84 Bronco II, 3.0L, 4X4, 5spd, D-35+8.8 w/31spl Explorer axles, some suspension mods.....

410fortune Owes ME $$$ !
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

The 8.8 is a very popular swap. Moving the spring perches to the top of the axle is needed. The shock mount just needs to be moved like the stock 7.5 ones (down low on the axle tube) for a quick install.
DZK007

Post by DZK007 »

:hmmm: Thanx for the info but I'm going a bit beyond that and remounting where the springs attach to the truck frame as well. The explorer frame spring brackets mount the spring below the frame rail itself which will put them a greater distance from the wheels. I was thinking of leaving the original axle spring plates on the axle and just mounting the shocks to them thus keeping the shocks outside the frame rails.

From your reply it sounds like you are missing what I'm doing with this one. :confused:
'84 Bronco II, 3.0L, 4X4, 5spd, D-35+8.8 w/31spl Explorer axles, some suspension mods.....

410fortune Owes ME $$$ !
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

So your talking about moving the springs inward and mounting the axles that way to get more lift? That should work, but how about the narrower spring width and stability? I am interested in this swap and want to see pics.
DZK007

Post by DZK007 »

Yeah Phillippi, :cool: now you got the idea. I'm figuring like 5 or 6 inches lift in the back from doing it this way and with the shocks out closer to the wheels I'm hoping to actually gain stability and flex at the same time. I figure that if the springs don't have to move so far for a given amount of wheel travel then it will flex better with less driveshaft extension movement.

This along with the extra travel of the 4 inch lift on the front should get me to far more places than I can go now. The D-35 has a lockrite in it already and the 8.8 is an LS unit. :D

410fortune Owes ME $$$ !