Jack Points & Good MAnual

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
88BIIXLT

Jack Points & Good MAnual

Post by 88BIIXLT »

Does anyone have a good guide or tech paper on the right jacking points and jackstand points for the BII 4WD?

Also, what are the best repair manuals for these cars? I have a Haynes and it's not very good. Same thing with my BMW... the HAynes manual sucks. :frown:

I need to jack the BII up to do several things, and get it on jack stands without f**king anything up, and last time I tried, I foudn it very difficult to get the car up, and level to get the stands underneath it.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to do the rear brakes this weekend and the fronts in the next two weeks or so. Just want to get the Bronco II up safely.

Thanks in advance!
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

the rear axle is really easy just jack up the truck from the pumpkin aka diff. Then put two jack stands on the axle houseing as far out as possible. The front i would do one side at a time because of the TTB which makes it had to jack up level. The brakes are really easy to do so you wont have to look at the other side when it comes to the front. as for the rear only take apart one side at a time so you can look at the other side to figure out how to put it back together. As for jacking up the front its really easy you can jack it up pretty much anywere on the ttb (they are pretty strong) There are bolts were the control arms conect which would be the best place. As for manuals i dont know mine is alright and i think its a chiltons.
88BIIXLT

Thanks for the Speedy Reply!

Post by 88BIIXLT »

I guess TTB is the transfer case? What if you have to get under the car? Isn't there any way to jack it up level and get stands inderneath it? I know what you're saying though. The last time I did it, I had a REALLY tough time and never DID get it up level.

There's got to be a good way of doing it though, without a lift.

I'll see if a Chilton's helps. The haynes manual just isn't very good. In the front section, when it talks about jacking, it advises not to work under the car using the CAR'S jack (duh), but the entire section is devoted to chaning a friggin tire with the factory jack... next section is engine specs!!!

On one of the BMW sites I'm on, they had a picture of a 3 series car, on it's side, with the jack points marked. Too bad there's not one of those for these. Any takers on rolling their car over on the driver's side for a quick shot of the bottom???
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

TTB = Twin Traction Beam. That is the front differential. You can put the jack under one of the bolts and jack it up and put the jackstands under the lower shock mount or at one of the other bolts in the TTB. As far as level, jack up both sides and put the stands in the same location on either side at the same level setting on the stand and it should be close. I have worked under my B2 on jackstands for days at a time with no problem. Good luck.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I would roll my truck for you but i dont think it will help you much sense there is little BII left!
88BIIXLT

Well, I'm goin in!

Post by 88BIIXLT »

Thanks for all the posts. I'm at a dangerous level with the back breakes. When I bought the car, I took it to Big O tires cause the tires were dry-rotted and completely cracked. I had them do the brakes too. There was an annoying problem in the car with the emergency brake pedal not bouncing back strong enough and holding to keep the light off. They told me it all looked OK, but they ground the rotors, new pads in the front and lower ball joints.

I didn't spend much time on the Bronco II cause I was very busy blah, blah, blah, and I really don't know much about American cars so it's a slow learning curve for me. Until the Bronco II and a 1979 Chevy van I had two years ago for a few months, I've only had European cars... 3 to be exact in 33 years! American cars are really a new experience for me.

Anyhoo, I took the car, after 14K of driving to the guy that USED to work on my BMW (I've done all that work for 4 years now), and had him look at it (he used to work at a Ford dealership in Hawaii). His suggestion... change the front brake cable. So, not knowing anything about it and only having the Haynes manual, which isn't very good, I replaced that cable. Brake light was still on. Took it to NAPA and a very knowledgable guy there took a look... corrosion in the REAR cables, not allowing the brakes to fully release. So I've been driving around for 1.5 years with the brakes always on a bit.

Needless to say, the brakes are shot, so I'm going in there tonight, ripping the rears apart, and replacing them. I probably need new drums too, but I won't know until I pull it all apart. Now I can jack that puppy up and find out how bad it is! Thanks again for the help! I don't have any problems with BMW brakes so I can't imagine that I'll have trouble with these, but if I do, I'm gonna holler! :eek:
88BIIXLT

Done!

Post by 88BIIXLT »

well, the rear brakes are done. Thanks for all the jacking help etc. The cables were frozen solid, the right shoes were down to the bottom of the rivits, the right drum had a 1/8 in score from the rivets! The left side wasn't so bad, but that cable was frozen as well. For the first time since I got it, the car's coasting really well... didn't do that before cause I was driving wit the emergency brakes always on! Itanked up and reset the trip counter so I can see how the mileage is now. I got 22 before, should be higher now.

Again, thanks for the help!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Now you got a taste, you will want to keep upgrading. That isnt such a bad thing.
88BIIXLT

Well, maybe!

Post by 88BIIXLT »

I spent SOOOOOO much restoring my BMW. Did all of it myself, except for the painting which I had Maaco do, after removing EVERYTHING from the car and doing most of the body work myself. I'm just happy to have the Bronco II working properly now. The next project is front discs and pads but it'll be a while. I'm finishing up the A/C tomorrow in the Beemer... took everything out, replace the expansion valve, condenser, receiver/dryer, flushed everything and rebuilt the compressor. FYI, it has 217K, all original miles, and it's an '85! I restored everything, and it's now in immaculate shape except it hasn't been buffed down yet. Here are my 2 cars... as you can see, the 325e is in great shape as well as the '88 Bronco II, which has 108K: