V8 swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Leaky14

V8 swap

Post by Leaky14 »

Hey Guys
I have 90 model B2 with 210 k miles on her.At about 175k had to put new heads on the 2.9 liter as they cracked. The 2.9 is tired...as she should be. I have always wanted to swap in a v8 and now I have to decide if I want to tackle it. So I really could use some advise on the swap.This is an everyday driver.I drive about 70 miles a day and need a clean dependable swap.....so what would be the easiest engine and tranny to use? Also I assume the the rest of the drivetrain will have to be changed.........what should i use? I am fairly adept at this stuff but you guys have done this and hopefully you can lend me some help.
Thanks in advance.........
Tony
I Love the old Girl.........help me out guys!!!
rockcrawlerbronco2

v8swap

Post by rockcrawlerbronco2 »

one question you have to ask yourself is what are you planning onn doing with the rig?if it is just a daily driver with gas prices these days I dont know if the v8 is the way to go.dont get me wrong I have done the swap on two of my rigs but we all know the gas mileage just cant compare with the 2.9 are you planning on making this a trail rig?
Leaky14

Post by Leaky14 »

Thanks for the reply......
Yep I will also be driving it on the trail..... I live in the mtns of western North Carolina, hehe I need 4wd to get up my driveway. I have had the b2 since 1990....and really dont want to get rid of it. But if I am going to spent any more money on her....I dont see putting in a rebuilt 2.9.
rockcrawlerbronco2

v8

yeah i dont blame you.if your gona spend 2,000 grand you might as well get twice the horsepower.id recomend a 5.0 out of an f150 or for econoline van as the mustangs are a ittle harder to find.I would definetly go with injection.your probly gona want to put a c4 auto in it.that would be the easiest unless you want to fork out the cash for the adapter to the 5 speed i assume you have.let me know if theres anything I can help you with as ive done a couple of these swaps.nobody is also a really good guy to ask as he has also done the swap.
Leaky14

Post by Leaky14 »

I have a 1989 302 out of an econoline, but it is junk....would use it for a core for a rebuilt engine .just put a jasper rebuilt in my f 150 about 6 months ago and would probably do the same with this one. Aout tranny would be fine.I do have the 5 speed now......would it stand the tourque from the v8? And will my stock diff. need to be replaced.....and my stock front and rear ends?I wont be doing any rockcrawling..but will be offroad some...as this is a daily driver...no huge tires.probably 235/70 r 15s or at most 31" 10/15s
rockcrawlerbronco2

v8

if you go easy with the throttle your 5 speed will hold up.obviously the syncros are gona go out if they havent already.lol as for your axles. i recomend putting n an 8.8 out of a ranger or explorer and when you get to it you can do the 3ana 35 out of the ranger exploer.unless you want to go slid axle than thats another story.the stock 7.5 rear you have will hold up with moderate wheeling and driving but putting v8 power and anything bigger than a 33-35 inch tire would quickly retire it!!
Leaky14

Post by Leaky14 »

ok.....so if i have the engine...tranny and axles ready to go...should i lift the body? hmmm maybe i should ask how much this is gonna cost me..lol
i can get the engine...long block for about 1500 bucks....so i would need axles, tranny and i would guess computer and wiring harness from a v8....should i go with fuel injection or carb? How hard is it to change the wiring?will the axles you mention bolt up or have to be modified?
rockcrawlerbronco2

v8

it would make it alittle easier if you lifted the body 2 inches for heater box and valve cover clearance.and the axles i mentioned are bolt in swaps.as for the wiring,you can either buy a painless wiring harness or use the econoline computer and wire it yourself.sometimes that can get trick so for a first timer i would spend the money on the painless harness.
Leaky14

Post by Leaky14 »

ok....thanks for the replies...i have alot to consider.If i decide to go ahead with this i am sure i will have alot more questions!!
I am leaning towards the swap so I will be asking alot more questions.If i do the swap I would want to have as much of what i need on hand before i start.
Thanks!!
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Nobody got better fuel mileage with his 302 conversion over the v-6.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Leaky14

Post by Leaky14 »

Well......Im not looking for better mileage.I want more power lol
Im tired of having to pick my feet up to get up a hill.If it was possible to get more power out of the 2.9 I would do that. I love the B2 but its just underpowered. Now I have to decide if I am up to doing the v8 swap
rockcrawlerbronco2

v8

i dont know what you guys are talkin about.im runnin a 2.9 with 39.5s and 4.88s and it rips!! once you get those things over 2500 rpm they take off.i run mine at 6000 all day on the trail and it never misses a beat.not to mention it hardly goes through any fuel.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Some people li ;) ke to have thier power start below 1500
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Leaky14

Post by Leaky14 »

Im glad you are having good luck with your 2.9. I have gotten 210,000 miles out of mine.....and had to replace nearly everything but the block...lol.It has left me stuck on the side of the road from Oklahoma to the mountains here in North Carolina. Its time for a new powerplant....or a new vehicle.And I am not ready to get rid of the old girl.So...
rockcrawlerbronco2

v8

dont get me wrong guys im a serious v8 fan as ive had a couple v8 b2s.but im having a blast beatin this 2.9 it just wont kick the bucket!!.i keep sayin im gona put my 5.0 i when it blows but the time has not come.lol.nice 1500 joke ranger 5.0! the sad part is that its true!!