Problem with subwoofer shutting off.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronco19

Problem with subwoofer shutting off.

Post by Bronco19 »

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question,but I was wondering if ya'll could help. I will be driving along and my sub will just stop, Everything else still working. An audio shop said the remote wire voltage was dropping close to 10 volts dropping the amp off. They said to hook it to the accesory wire and that woul fix it. Well I did and it didn't fix it. They tested the amp and the woofer separately and said they were both fine. I still sort of think it's the woofer though, because when it cuts off I can always reach back and push on it and it will come on again. Can anyone help?
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

my bet is a bad ground! almost all electrical problems come from the ground wire. Also check the wires inside the sub going to the speacker!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Easy test is get another subwoofer and hook it up. See if a buddy has one to help you out. Also if you have access to another amp try that as well. I have had problems in the past with bad alt/power and it didnt really affect the amp/subwoofer. Just thought I would through my $.02 worth out. :redneck:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you definatly have a loose wire.....double check everything. if nothing comes up check the wiers under the carpet it might have rubbed a bare spot in one of the wires. if everything appears ok, then if you have a warrenty on the amp have them pull the cover off and see if a soldered connection has come loos inside the amp.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

well, to add my two cents, when does it shut off? randomly, when your thumping? when you hit a bump? i think more info is needed. I had a problem with mine when I was thumping it would suck so much juice from the battery that it would shut the amp off, in my case a new batterry fixed it. a cap would also help. other than that i would try hooking the remote strait to the battery to see if it still works, if it has problems there then its not the accessory, also a voltometer is a good thing to have that way you can check the voltage on your battery as well as other points.
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0
Bronco19

Post by Bronco19 »

The Amp is not shutting off. The sub will just stop playing. I have been pushing on the sub whenever it shuts off and it will come back on. It seems to be working. For one day it worked fine.
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker