Air Conditioning Fix

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
skidster

Air Conditioning Fix

Post by skidster »

I have a 90 Bronco II that needs new R12...I had the AC fixed a few years ago then, it was working fine and then when I had a new engine put in they didn't save the R12...So I am without AC again...and now R12 is super expensive hard to find etc...

Any ideas what I should do? I hear that there is an R12 substitute that supposedly works in an R12 system...but I don't know anything about it.

I obviously don't want to spend big bucks to change everything..

Do you guys know ofe any shop in Seattle that is good with AC work?

Any info appreciated...thx
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

The only option you have is to go to an auto parts store and get new orifices (it a kit) and 134A freon, but if you don't have mainfold guages or the know how this could be challenging. If you know anybody that does refrigeration or HVAC you would use HOT SHOT freon without any orifice changes have them put it in at 80% of the amount of R12 used by the factory. Also try anyone you know that does auto body or auto repair as they can help also.
--L
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I know you want your a/c to work again but you can convert to and on board air system......your cheapest way out is to do the 134 conversion. just make sure they vacume your system and then get the conversion kit off the shelf at autozone or wal-mart and fallow the instructions....good luck!
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I used the cheapo conversion like 4 years ago and I havent even recharged my system and it still blows cold. So I figure that I got more then my moneys worth. My next ac will be no top!
eisle89

Post by eisle89 »

Are you using clamps on the girdle joints ?? I always had to because of Ford's bad design there
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

To all users of Freon 12. Do not despair cause you can use a product called freeze 12. It is cheep and redially available. If ya want more info just do a google on freeze 12.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
cokoliso

Post by cokoliso »

Freeze 12 worked for me in my Bronco II...