bell housing leak after rear main seal replaced

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bIIcool

bell housing leak after rear main seal replaced

Post by bIIcool »

I have a 1985 Bronco II with a 2.8 engine. Recently I have replaced most of the seals on the engine including the oil pan, valve covers, and the rear main. I am still having a oil leak seeming to appear out of the bell housing. I have already replaced the rear main a second time with no change. The only time I am seeing the leak is after I drive the vehicle for a while then it will leave a puddle. It is not leaking while the vehile is just parked. I just drove it a longer distance the other day and the more oil seemed to come out leaving a larger puddle. Can someone help? This is becoming very frustrating. :mad2:
b2binbad

Post by b2binbad »

302 swap. :D
You're right, I DON'T understand that Jeep thing ;)
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Did you check the front tranny seal?
bIIcool

Post by bIIcool »

the front seal was replaced and it does not leak.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

can you tell what kind of oil it is? What tranny do you have?
bIIcool

Post by bIIcool »

It is motor oil not tranny fluid. I have a 4 speed manual mitsubishi transmission.
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

Had a 2.8 in 84 when I bought it for $100. Couldn't get it to run. The key way had a problem when the timming gear was put on and the cam had been pushed back and pushed out the freeze plug in the rear of the block. The cam was broken so the valves were not opening and closeing so it wouldn't start. I'm not saying this is what happened to you. Just trying to give you something else to check. I guess this freeze plug could leak when oil is being feed to the cam when the engine is running but not when the engine is off. I have no information on this being a problem with this or any other engine. Like I said just giving you some other possibility. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Happy_Jack wrote:Had a 2.8 in 84 when I bought it for $100. Couldn't get it to run. The key way had a problem when the timming gear was put on and the cam had been pushed back and pushed out the freeze plug in the rear of the block. The cam was broken so the valves were not opening and closeing so it wouldn't start. I'm not saying this is what happened to you. Just trying to give you something else to check. I guess this freeze plug could leak when oil is being feed to the cam when the engine is running but not when the engine is off. I have no information on this being a problem with this or any other engine. Like I said just giving you some other possibility. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
That's exactly what happened to me once. 5th gear seized and when I went to take off from a light, it spit the cam out the back of the motor :laugh: :rolleyes: The bolt holding the cam gear and worked loose and been that way for who knows how long.

As for the oil leak, if your PCV system is working properly, or you have too much blow-by, pressure will build up in your crankcase and you'll get a leak.

I forgot, does the 2.8L have a one piece rear seal? The 2 piece seals can be a pita and a lot of people put them in the wrong way.

It's also possible the the crank has a groove worn in it.