A Little Information

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Skinsfan6

A Little Information

Post by Skinsfan6 »

Hey everybody. I came across an 86 Bronco 2 in pretty good shape outside, and with an immaculate interior. I know it's an XLT, it's four wheel drive, is an automatic tranny, and has power windows and locks. Can anyone tell me what the displacement of the engine is? Are these Broncos underpowered? Could the stock engine and gearing move bigger tires and with maybe a small lift? I don't know a whole lot about Bronco 2s. This one is $950, and I'm interested in it as my first vehicle if it doesn't have too many miles on it. Thanks for your help.
worth165

New owner

Post by worth165 »

Read back further in this forum. I have a 87 b2 2 inch lift, good truck i would recommend check the drive line there is two types CV style or CV still with u-joints. The CV still is CRAP. Other than that I am pretty hard on mine, in 4 wheel drive high it slujggish, and in 4 low tons of torque. I have replaced 1 trans in 5 years.
Skinsfan6

Post by Skinsfan6 »

Correction. On the way to the post office today I stopped and looked at it again, and it is an 88. Sorry guys. Any more info would be appreciated. I looked at the odometer and only saw four digits that I could see form the angle :wtf: . I'm assuming I just couldn't see the fifth, and that the odometer turns back to zero after 99,999 miles.
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

correct on the odometer. I think in 89 or 90 they changed to a 6 digit. The stock motor is a 2.9L FI V6. It has decent power and will turn 31s fine and 33s ok if you change the gearing around.

I have a 4liter in my 85 ranger, 4.56 gears, and a spool (welded). It screams on 32s...I think I need to do a tune up because when I first put the motor in, it would lay rubber shifting into second on dry pavment :)
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
Skinsfan6

Post by Skinsfan6 »

Do you know whether it has lcoking hubs or anything? I forgot to look. These ever come with a limited slip or locker?
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

It could have either auto locking hubs or manual locking hubs. Some have limited slips, none have lockers (stock)
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs