running electric fan???

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

running electric fan???

Post by FatMan »

just currious if it would be ideal to run a electric fan connstently or set it with a t-switch? the reason i ask is my fan is set with a t-switch and it goes on and off quiet often. just wondering if it would be better to just leave it on while driving and then turn it on when you dont need it?
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I have been thinking about an electric fan as well. If and when I do install one, it will be always on, no switched or on the tstat. Just a wierd me that wants it on all the time.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I just wire them into the ignition so when you turn the key it turns on. the last time I bought and used a thermostat it messed up and I just by passed it and never went back...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

cool always on seems to be the census.... i have it wired up for either on off or tthermal switch but i think im going to let it always run. i just would hate for it to fail because it keeps switching on and off through out driving...
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I would also worry that if I had a manual switch, I would forget to turn it on. I would rather it be always on.
NCBII

Post by NCBII »

ive got a 16in electric fan infront of my radiator (where the a/c coil was) and i ve got it on a switch because i only need it offroad and on real hot days
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I prefer to have mine wire to the to a thermostat. Summit sells some electrical switches. When going to down the freeway my fan doesn't really come on. I've only had one problem where I blew a fuse while out wheeling (too small).

I do have an override to switch the fan off for water crossings. I've forgotten to flip it back on a few times though. I hate it when you look down the guage and :eek: :eek:
no v8? why drive?

Post by no v8? why drive? »

I used a summit 180* switch for a year or so and it burned out so I just ran it to the ignition and left it that way.
87 4X4 Ranger 306ci AOD NP205 fw d44/8.8 5.13s
94 4x4 Navajo 8" lift
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

it really dont make sence to run a fan when its not needed, if you figure out the mph of air that it pushes you will find that anything over 45mph is useless unless your pulling a long steep hill. we put together a heep with a electric fan, chevy 350, we ran it off a thermostat in the bottom hose from NAPA set at 180, the fan rarely came on, it has been set up like this for 5 years now with no trouble. it is also wired for on and off too, just in case. my self, i wouldnt want to replace the fan every couple years due to running it constantly.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Good points. I will think about running a thermostat and switch
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I wired mine solid on the dart like 3 yrs ago and it has had no problems what so ever. those things last forever, and you can get them for cheap so I just go wide open...its not like it damages the motor...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

the nice thing about being able to have it off is in the winter it takes a lot less time to warm up.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

im not sure if mine comes on when im on the hwy but it sure comes on alot when im not.
desrt_rat wrote:it really dont make sence to run a fan when its not needed
not necessarily true i tried it and over heated my motor on a cool day. that was with a exploder rad...

3 position switch, t-switch always on, off, and manuel on. that is how i run mine that way you dont need to hook it to the ignition.
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

these little motors are odd little critters anyways so i wouldn't doubt that a bit.