a qeustion for everyone about gas milage

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
89b24x4project

a qeustion for everyone about gas milage

Post by 89b24x4project »

any know what i can do to get better city gas milage? oh and can a bad cvc joint mess with my gas mialge or anyting ?? thankls for yalls time
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

run codes......if nothing comes up. then you are kinda stuck with what you are getting now. also stay out of the skinny peddle, and you might want to try to stay in your power band. that is where you are getting the most bang for the buck.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well, it depends on what mods you may or may not have done.

The biggest one is staying out of it. Slow take offs, easy shifts etc.. Skinny street tires inflated to proper pressure. Quality gas....doesn't mean high octane, just buy from big name gas stations.

How is your mileage now? After a certain point, there's not much you can do.

Also depending on your location, they may be fluffing the gas up with ethenol and all that crap......really kills mileage.

Also make sure your timing is set right.
89b24x4project

Post by 89b24x4project »

well i live i n tx and and its an rebuilt auto tranny i havent done anything yet cuase im broke cause i lost my job and i dont drive like a maniac and i get about 213 miles a tank on the city streets and i know for a fact the cvc joints are acting up cuase when i do start going it clicks and ive had 5 people tell me that it seems like on the high way about 55 and 60 i get good gas mialage but the city really kills me i geuss all i can do is go multi fuel or bigger gas tank (witch willmake me spend the same amount of money but farther apart ) im just tryin to save some money till i can get a new job thanks for yalls help and time oh and where do i get a code puller
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

speaking of that, how bad does etonol burn gas milage, i just filled up with some and it seems to be running out twice as fast.
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You need to actually check your milage.

Fill up your tank.... 23.5 gallons.
Reset your trip odometer
Run it almost empty
Fill up again ($40+ :mad: )

Divide number of miles traveled by the number of gallons it took to fill up.

But in general, it sounds like your milage isn't soo bad.

As for the CV driveshaft, it probably needs replacing, but it shouldn't have any significant impact on milage
89b24x4project

Post by 89b24x4project »

well i geusss i just drive to much then and 213 is when i ran out of gas in my drive way but on the highway the most i got was 220 on 3/4 of a tank i geuss prices are to high and me driving all day lookig for a job and going to school gets it done so thanks any ways and where shouls i look for a code puller
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

PHROX wrote:speaking of that, how bad does etonol burn gas milage, i just filled up with some and it seems to be running out twice as fast.
I'm sure it depends, but I believe it generally makes a 1-2mpg difference, possibly more.

Wife and I drove east the Cascades on memorial day weekend. We filled up over there (Not many people) and got killer milage on that tank of gas.

I also used to notice a significant change when I would drive home from kaliforna. As soon as I got out of LA, my milage would instantly get better.

Can't help with the codes....sorry.
89b24x4project

Post by 89b24x4project »

well thanks for yalls help and thanks for making this fourm its helped me awnser alot of questions about my truck
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you can get a code puller from autozone, around $40....BUT, they will pull the codes for free. so before you spend money you don't have use that option first!
I bought one and it works on most fords.
they way I found this out was I drove my BII to PA from KY and used 5 tanks of gas :mad: .......had the codes scaned in PA replaced the O2 and a TP sensor and only used 2 tanks on the way home :D .
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
88BIIXLT

Not Bad Mileage

Post by 88BIIXLT »

Hi everyone... I'm new here. Have had my 88 BII for almost two years. Got it cheap... it had been garaged for 10 years and only drive 1,000 miles in that time. I know a lot about a specific 19 year old BMW (original owner with 216K) which I maintain flawessly, but I know almost nothing about this Bronco II, so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions, hopefully getting back a lot of useful answers.

Anyway, I'm getting about 425-450 miles per tank and I'm up at 8,500'. I'm leaking oil at a pretty good rate now from the rear seal most of the time and some from the front seal when I'm driving, but not when I'm parked. The car's got 107K on it, and I recently got back from a 4500 mile cross-country-and-back trip. Worked great. As a matter of fact, the tranny was drained when I returned, first time for a complete drain in a couple of years, and the tranny oil was EXTREMELY clear.

I've done some stuff to the BII to keep it going, and last winter replaced the water pump and belts, but this auto is sort of a mystery to me. Runs great though, A/C still blows cold, paint's in really decent shape. I replaced the front section of the emergency brake cable, but still have to do the back two cause they're corroded inside the hoses... I can see it. I'm just waiting for NAPA to get the second cable but those bad cables are not letting the brakes free up completely in the back, and I'm pretty sure my mileage will be better once I get that fixed. Other than the two engine seals, I have to replace the tranny (manual) gasket at the bottom cause it's seeping but so far, I think that's it. I'm sure I'll need help down the road a piece here. Nice to be up on the board...

If I were to get the "code-puller," what things on the car would it diagnose?
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Well with 33s / 4.56 gears to moab I went 205 miles in about 1/3 a tank. Not to bad. I am hoping to get similar milage with the 5.0L. We shall see.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

get a tornado :finger:
naw for real i think the b2's are just like the fullsize bronco minus 2 pistons. if you dont have the doe for a code checker there is a way to check the code via jumper wire. check here http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.htm good luck ;)
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
LilBronc

Post by LilBronc »

code testers basically tells you if the comp has diagnosed any errors with the motor. mostly if a sensor is running out of its designated range. which could indicate its bad. Wal-mart carries it for around $30.
WWJD - Wheeling With Jesus Daily